11: not in that way

11: CHAPTER ELEVEN

11: CHAPTER ELEVEN

"HOW was the math test?"

The very question causes a grimace to fall on my face as I ditch my novel and look up at a simpering Phoebe. "Do you want me to answer that honestly?" I mumble as I scoot over to create more room for her. Her short hair today is curled around the nape of her neck.

"I feel sorry for you. Miss Russo is a total bitch. Good luck kissing up to her until she decides you're worthy enough of a make up test," Phoebe says with a small frown to her round face.

My eyebrows shoot up. "Thank you for making me feel better." I smile and nudge her to punctuate my sentence, even though my tone is mundane. She also smiles back, and we both grin to each other until we are cut short by the sound of someone clearing their throat.

We both turn our heads slightly to see Ethan standing in front of us with his hands tucked into the pockets of his school pants. His tie is loosened around his neck and the first three buttons on his top are undone. "What's up?" he begins, shooting me a glance from the corner of his eyes. That basically meant double up on the affection.

I force myself to grin. "Nothing, just missing you!" I chirp. It doesn't hit me how lame I sounded until Ethan looks at me with a grimace and Phoebe beside me snorts. Okay then. I bow my head down and busy myself by toying with the ends of my navy skirt. "S-so um...how's life?"

Ethan doesn't even try to cover up the quick eye roll he performs. "Come sit with us," he says instead, nodding his head towards the left. I follow his train of vision and find myself staring at a table full of people.

I shake my head right away. "No way in hell. Your friends are rude," I reply.

Phoebe commences to collect her things slowly starts beside me and stands up. "I'm gonna leave you guys to it," she mutters as she shoots ethan a pointed look. 'Be nice' she mouths to him before leaving and heading in the direction of the usual table she hangs out at.

Ethan is waiting until Phoebe is out of sight before he chooses to speak once again. "You don't even know them," he argues.

I shake my head once again and cross my legs over each other. "I've met them once, and besides, we never sit next to each other at lunch!" I hiss.

"Exactly. People are starting to ask questions. We have to be seen hanging out with each other at some point. Walking you to class doesn't cut it. Plus, some of my girl friends want to meet you." Once he notices the odd expression on my face, he rolls his eyes. "You know what I mean."