F I F T Y-F I V E

Start from the beginning

"I missed you."

Kai raised his eyebrows before furrowing them and smiling lightly. "That was random."

Iris sighed and leaned forward again but this time to rest the side of his head on Kai's shoulder.

"Don't you miss when things were simple?"

"They were never simple."

"Okay, enjoyable."

Kai smiled and stroked Iris's hair while he leaned his own head on the door.

"Yes," he sighed. "I do. But you can't give up on the future. We'll work through this you know."

"I know, I'm just...just tired. Overwhelmed. Times like this just make me remember years back. Even months."

"When I pinned you every time we spared."

"Not every time."

"Mmm, yes, yes every time. And when you were annoyingly stingy with your food."

"Hey, those cookies are like heaven in my mouth. Every bite counts."

Kai and Iris chuckled at the same time. These moments they shared were precious and seemed vary valuable during these days. Scarce, so they treated the time carefully. Paid mind to every word they spoke, treasured every reaction. They found solace in the kisses they shared and in every second of warmth their embraces transferred. 

Times were certainly changing, changing in ways they didn't expect or prepare for. It meant a lot to one another when the other tried to brighten up the mood, because with the atmosphere constantly staying tense, a little humor didn't hurt anyone. And Kai's smile made Iris's heart flutter, and the sparkle in the prince's eyes never failed to give Kai hope.

Recently these moments were growing rare, but they'd never lose their priceless value.

††

The time Iris and Kai spent together the night before was important because Iris hung out with Zoe almost all day the next morning.

They exchanged more information, some Iris wished Zoe told him last night.

Apparently Zoe's sister was in search for Vridora as well. Possibly still is. The auction Iris and Kai checked out a while back was filled with vampires she turned. Iris and Zoe could only assume Annesa wasn't aware she was so close to Vridora, because why would she wait so long to attack?

If she was as desperate for war as Zoe exclaimed her to be, Iris didn't believe  she would stall or be contemplating her plan.

They talked until dinner. The guards were less strict but continued to keep an eye on Zoe. They haven't told Arlo or Amilea, Iris still needed to piece everything together first.

After they ate, Iris, Zoe, Kai, and Sage spent the hour before bed in the library. Zoe had something further important to discuss in private, and Sage suggested the library. 'Less suspicion' she said.

"I doubt you have any books on them, but, uh, before anything else, finding at least one of these should be our main priority." Zoe slid the small piece of paper she was drawing on in the center of the table they stood around, and the rest leaned in to study it.

"A dagger?" Kai asked incredulously.

"Not just any dagger." Zoe tabbed the paper. "It started off as a rumor, but then I seen it with my own eyes. One fatal stab into a vampire's flesh and their dead."