After Story 3 - In Sickness and in Health

Start from the beginning

“But I... I don't know what to say...” I said slowly, still watching my fiancée.

“It's all right. Just give it a minute.”

Bonnie walked away from Nelly, and she was left alone to watch the sea. I rose from the bench slowly and carefully, before awkwardly shuffling towards her.

“She's a lucky girl.” Alexis said to my mother.

“You think so?” She asked.

“Oh yeah, of course. Can't you see it in Toby's eyes?”

“His eyes...?”

“He has that sparkle. They both do.” Alexis said proudly.

“You're right...” Mum smiled. “I never thought he would fall in love this young but... I'm glad he's got Nelly.”

“It's a beautiful sight, isn't it? Seeing the two of them so happy...”

“It is...”

“You know, Tracey...” Alexis looked at my mother happily. “Nelly really loves Toby. She really, really loves him.”

“I... I can see that. And I can tell that Toby loves Nelly with all his heart too...” She smiled. “I can't believe I ever even thought of taking him away with me...”

“He needs her, and she needs him.” Alexis watched as I walked towards her daughter. “I don't know if you know this yet, but... They can't sleep without each other.”

“Th-they sleep together...?” My mum swallowed.

“There's nothing wrong with that, is there?”

“Well, I...”

“One day, the adoption agency tried to take Toby and Bonnie into care.” Alexis looked up at the sky, remembering the dark day. “No matter how much we protested, we couldn't stop them from being taken... It shook Snowflake up so bad... She was in tears for the rest of the day, and come night time, she just sat on the stairs and cried...”

“That's awful... What happened...?”

Nelly's mother looked back and smiled again. “Toby took Bonnie, and he broke them out of the care centre in the middle of the night. He walked all the way back to us in the freezing cold, right up to the front door. You should have seen the look on Nelly's face when he walked in, she was so happy... And so was he. They ran straight into each other's arms.”

“Aww... I've missed so much...”

“But anyway, my point is, they can't sleep without each other. They need each other.”