Seventeen

They sat in silence, cups of untouched coffee warming their hands as they tried to comprehend the nightmare around them. Cassie had no idea where to start. How could you tell someone the things she'd seen and done and still expect them to think you were sane? It was hard enough to tell Sam what she could do. But, this was Mike, the star quarterback, the guy she loved from afar. She couldn't expect any understanding from someone who didn't really know her, could she?

"What's going on, Cassie?" Mike asked, his patience wearing thin. He wasn't going to wait much longer for answers. It was amazing he lasted this long.

Cassie nodded, realizing they were at his breaking point. He might think she was crazy if she told him the truth, but telling him nothing would certainly drive him away. She couldn't risk that. Especially not after the way he had touched her with such concern in his eyes. She'd risk anything to feel that again.

"I'm not like other girls, Mike," she said softly, her eyes locked on the mug in her hand. She couldn't risk seeing the look in his eyes as she told him.

"I've always known that, Cassie," he told her, his eyes taking her in. "It's only been you who never understood that."

She looked up at him, startled. The way he was looking at her made her want things she couldn't have. It was impossible to think she had a chance with him. "I'm not normal," she said, her words coming out harsher than she meant them to be. Why was he giving her hope when she was about to kill any chance she may have ever had with him? "I may not even be human."

Mike laughed, getting up from the table. "That's absurd. Why would you say something like that?"

Sam watched her with sad eyes. "Is that what you really think, Cass? That you're somehow less human than the rest of us just because you have this amazing ability?"

Cassie looked over at her best friend, disbelief thick in her eyes. "Well, yes. Isn't that what it means? That I can do these things shows that I'm not normal. I'm a freak, Sam. I'm definitely not just some human girl."

"Is that really so bad? Is it really so awful to be special?"

Cassie stood up. "I'm not special, Sam. You are. I'm cursed." She turned her back to the others as she refilled her cup of coffee. She didn't want to have this argument. Not in front of Mike. Her perfectly crafted fantasy life was about to come to a crashing halt around her. Mike wanted to know everything and once he did, he'd be out of her life faster than sleep wanted to take her.

Footsteps moved across the room towards her. Warm fingers touched her shoulder, turning her towards them. "Cassie," Mike pleaded, looking into her eyes. "What is happening? I need to know. Please. Tell me."

She stayed silent, watching the emotion break and swell in his beautiful eyes.

"Please, Cassie, I want you to trust me with this. I need you to trust me. Obviously, whatever is going on is bigger than any of us. I get that. Some serious, messed up shit is happening in town and I know you know what it is. Please, talk to me."

Cassie backed away, putting space between them. She couldn't do this. She couldn't look into his eyes and be willing to doom her fate. Maybe she was a coward, but she couldn't handle Mike fleeing her life for good.

"This is pointless," Sam said getting up with a sigh. "Neither one of you is willing to push the other. I won't have this exploding in our faces right now because you like each other and are afraid to admit it. Get over it. Riley needs us." She shook her head, desperation coving her face. "The town needs us. Cassie, he needs to know." She pointed at the kitchen table. "Sit down, Mike. We'll tell you everything."