Three

Three

Cassie leaned back in her chair and yawned as the History teacher rambled on about some battle or something. She couldn't concentrate on anything that trivial right now. She was so tired. The last few nights were the hardest yet. People all over town needed her nocturnal guidance for some reason.

Usually, she only slipped into one or two dreams a night, but lately, it seemed like anytime she closed her eyes, she was whisked away. She didn't know how long she could keep this up. She needed rest and she didn't know how to get it.

She yawned again, shifting at her desk. The day couldn't go by fast enough. She needed to get back to searching for an answer to what was happening to her.

The teacher stopped and looked at her. "Am I boring you, Miss O'Bryan?"

Cassie sat up straight as her cheeks reddened. "No, Mr. Rice. I'm just a little tired," she replied quickly.

"It looks like Cassie's not the only one, Mr. Rice," a student called from the back of the room. "Tyler's sound asleep."

The class snickered around him.

The teacher sighed. "Somebody wake him up before he drools all over his desk."

Cassie watched as one of his teammates nudge him with his foot. "Come on, Tyler. Rise and shine," he called loudly.

Tyler moved but didn't wake up.

Mr. Rice impatiently walked over to Tyler's desk. "Wake up, Mr. Reynolds," the teacher said as he slammed his textbook on the desktop.

Tyler's body twitched in his seat. His eyes opened wide as a blood-curdling scream left his lips. It filled the room, bringing everyone to a complete stop. They watched in shock as the scream rolled on and on.

"Tyler?" Mr. Rice asked as he peered into his face.

Tyler's eyes rolled up in his head as his body jerked violently. He danced liked a puppet on strings before pitching sideways from his chair onto the ground.

The students closest to him jumped back as his body convulsed. He legs kick out, knocking his desk over. White foam poured from his lips. It ran down his chin, puddling below his head.

"Tyler, hang on," Mr. Rice spoke as he knelt. He fumbled with his belt as he frantically looked around the room. "Someone get the nurse," he said, pulling his belt free.

No one moved.

Everyone was too shocked to move.

"Now!" Mr. Rice snapped.

That broke the spell that had weaved itself around the room. A couple of Tyler's teammates went running out as someone started weeping.

Cassie backed up as she watched Mr. Rice shove the belt between Tyler's teeth. Tears formed in her eyes as the teacher held him down, stopping his body from doing any more damage.

She couldn't believe it. This couldn't be happening, she thought as she watched the scene play out around her in slow motion. She'd known Tyler since kindergarten. Sure, he was a wise-cracking jerk most of the time, but he was a part of life here at Madison High.

Fear rose in her chest as she watched the foam turn red. It flowed from his mouth, while his body continued to convulse against the floor.

This couldn't be real. Was she really going to have to stand here and watch Tyler play out his last death throes?