Six

Six

Cassie waited outside in the cold morning air, rubbing her hands together, trying to keep the warmth in them. She gazed longingly at her front door and then thought better of it. It was safer to wait for Sam outside. Her mother might start her nagging again if she went back in there. She wasn't up to facing that on a Monday morning.

Not after the weekend she had.

She brushed her bangs across the cut on her forehead, hiding it from view. She couldn't believe she'd been physically hurt by the dream world. That concept was too foreign. How could a body be affected by something that wasn't really there?

A horn honked, pulling her from her thoughts. Sam's red mustang sat at the curb, revving impatiently.

"Come on, Cass. Get in before you freeze to death," Sam called, quickly rolling her window back up.

Cassie jumped off her porch and ran for the car, the motion warming her as she went. "Good morning," she greeted her friend as she slid in the car.

"Morning," Sam replied as she shoved an insulated cup into her hands. "I brought you this. I figured you could use it."

Cassie smiled at the warmth flowing into her hands. "You're a life saver, Sam," she said, drinking in the rich liquid. Ah, manna from heaven.

"Well, the way you've been sleeping, I knew you'd appreciate all the coffee you could get." She studied her friend, a frown tugging at the corner of her mouth. "Last night wasn't any better, was it?"

Cassie took another sip, enjoying the heat on her throat. "Not really. Too many things running through my mind."

Sam sighed as she pulled away from the curb. "You need to see someone, Cass. This isn't healthy."

Cassie glanced out the window, away from the concern in her friend's eyes. There wasn't anything she could say to that. She knew the dream walking was taking a heavy toll on her, but it had to be done. It's what she did. They needed her more now than ever.

Something was out there causing nightmares, and the dreamers of the town needed protection from it. As soon as she figured out how to keep them safe, things would get better.

But how to tell Sam all of this? She'd never believe her. Not in a million years.

They pulled into the school's parking lot. Groups of students stood around, prolonging the start of another school week as long as they could.

Cassie got out, pulling her messenger bag over her shoulder.

"We should find the guys. I want to know how Tyler's doing," Sam said, steering her into the school.

They found them leaning against their lockers, their faces blank, lost in their own morose thoughts.

"Any news?" Sam asked softly as they approached.

They looked up at her, sadness evident in the lines of their faces. "No, Tyler's still the same," Riley told her. "They don't know what's going on."

"It's happening to other students, though," Mike informed them. "Four more are in the hospital this morning."

Cassie cringed. Four more? What was going on? What was out there carrying out this madness?

"Who?" Sam asked, the strain in her voice plain to hear. "Who's in the hospital?"

"A couple guys from my shop class. Tammy from our Biology class, and..." Mike's eyes darted to Cassie. "Jimmy Johnson."

She gasped, her mind going back to the dream. She once again saw him sink lower into the liquid floor of their high school, while the white thing closed in. Had the creature devoured Jimmy's dream self? Is that what was happening?

"I can't believe this," Sam spoke, pulling Cassie from her thoughts. "What's going on around here?"

"I don't know," Riley said, sliding an arm around her. "Whatever it is, it's spreading."

Mike looked over at his best friend. "That's an encouraging thought, Ry. Thanks for that."

He shrugged. "What can I say, Mikey? I try."

Cassie tried to smile, but even the guys' banter could cheer any of them up this morning. Too much had been lost at this school. Too many reminders they all were only human.

"Standing around isn't doing us any good," Mike told them, worry in his eyes. "We might as well go to class."

Cassie silently followed them down the hall. What kind of epidemic stalks kids through their dreams? She had no clue where to even start looking for the answer.

What was the white thing with no eyes? Was it the Sleep Stalker or merely a pawn? A servant to be used and nothing more? What was going on in the dream world? She didn't know, but for some reason, it felt like she was the one to blame.