chapter one - call me iris

The sounds of sirens filled the streets of Seoul and the flashing lights outshone the stars in tonight's sky. It was a phenomenon that I have grown used too as it was something that happened a lot of nights. Of course this also happened during the day and it was just as thrilling.

"We're getting closer to the scene, let's do this as swiftly as possible."

"Understood!" Everybody responded to the prosecutor in unison.

We were heading towards a crime scene. A young girl had called in to report she had been assaulted and it is our job to gather the evidence we need to help her. Let me introduce myself, my name is Song Jae Hwa and I am an investigator. If my name isn't familiar it's because at work I go by Iris, that is the codename I chose for myself. I'll have to explain why later.

"Iris, follow me please." Prosecutor Park says to me.

I get out of the car quickly and follow him as he nears the scene. Already there is a small crowd of people trying to see what happened. I look around to see the area around me and it all starts out too familiar. Yellow tape has been put in place to block out the area and there are people at the scene already looking for evidence. I carefully examine the area around me until I see red spots on the ground that immediately caught my attention. As I walked over to the area on the street I pulled out a case kept in the inside of my coat. I squatted down to better look at the spots and I put on my sunglasses. While I was examining the area around the blood stains I overheard some whispers among the small crowd.

Some whispers were about how unfortunate the case was even though they don't know much about it. The other whispers were about me. Was I someone crazy wearing glasses at night? Perhaps, but that's what I'm known for. It is a signature feature to everybody who has heard of me. As I said earlier, my name is Song Jae Hwa also known as Iris and I'm not just an ordinary investigator I happen to be the most famous investigator in Korea.

"Did someone try to get fingerprints off this area yet?" I asked the cops around me.

"Not yet, we were about to do it." A young woman responded.

"If you pass me the powder and brush I can do it!." I said as I put on a pair of gloves. Once the materials were passed to me I started brushing the road to see if I could find anything. After I took swabs off the surface I handed the materials to a team member passing right behind me. He went on to take the materials to run through the system for any possible fingerprints. When he left I looked around before placing my hand on the ground. An image of a girl falling to the ground came to me. She was injured, which explained the blood on the floor. After she fell onto the street I saw her running towards the street light behind me. I stood up and walked up to Prosecutor Park.

"Do we know where she made the call from?" I asked him.

"Yes she actually made the call from a store down the street." He said pointing to that direction. I looked over and took a deep breath.

"Why do you ask? Do you think we should look for clues over there?" He proceeded to ask me.

"Maybe, but I'm not sure just yet." I told him as I walked away towards the street light in my vision.

At this time some reporters had made it to the scene and began asking questions as police tried to push them back. I then passed the yellow tape blocking the area and proceeded to the street light from my vision. I noticed there were a few blood stains here as well, they were small so I can see why they were hard to miss. Again I bent down and touched the area around them that allowed me to see another image. It was an image of a man running up to the injured girl, I assumed this man was the culprit. The man had a mask on covering the lower half of his face, but I was still able to see his eyes and a scar he had above one of his eyebrows. I was also able to see that the girl tried running away, but before she succeeded the man grabbed something attached to her bag and pulled it off. It looked like some sort of badge.