Part One: Missing Pieces

It is the year 327 of the Parsian calendar. The royal city of Eccubatana is back in the hands of Young Prince Arslan! Yet, the last great stories of him are in record and no longer bustling about in peoples' minds. At least not as much as they had been three years ago.

For, after the great war, Arslan was crowned king and returned to the palace to rule. His wisdom and great battle skill spread his fame. Still, many years had passed. All was peace. Time is the destroyer of all great things, but the deliverer of better...

Arslan's heart was heavy. Even Daryun could not see the trouble that was within his master. King Arslan's boyish face remained, even at twenty-one. He was the most handsome man Çalive. Womyn all over had heard this and hoped for the chance of one day getting to meet the Parsian King!

Our story opens on a bright fall day in the royal city. Arslan sits on his throne, bored to tears, thinking, and doing nothing more than that.

"Daryun!" He called weakly. His voice still childlike and innocent, though it would not be called that by anyone who knew of the things he had seen in his short span of life. "Daryun, my friend, where are you?" He whined without expression. Daryun entered the room upon hearing his name.

"You called me, my Lord?" Daryun bowed to a kneel, then walked over to his friend and king.

"Daryun...The kingdom is still peaceful...is it not?" The king's head rested on the armrest of his throne. Daryun smiled.

"Of course, your highness."

"Oh good...wouldn't want anything to get exciting around here. Thank you Daryun, I thought I might have wmissed something while I was asleep. I guess I was hoping for too much!" Arslan looked angrily at the floor. He hated the way he had changed. He would surely die on this throne!

"I think your majesty has been spending a little too much time with Lord Narsas." Daryun noted Arslan's new fondness for sarcasm. Arslan was always a great leader where Daryun was concerned. He would also fight to the death someone who would say otherwise.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean...It's just...I don't know, Daryun, I just don't know who I am anymore."

"Don't think like this, Highness." He paused, "Narsas and I have been thinking that your monarchy, in order to raise the people's interest again, will need something."

"Deciding my future again, Daryun?" Arslan raised his bent body, to sit straight in his throne. He threw a questioning look at his general.

"Please don't feel I'm being too ∫hasty, but there is a hole that, if filled, could be of great use to you and place your image back in the minds of your people!" Daryun announced the strange words. He was about to go on when the king raised his head.

"Wait, Daryun...What hole do you refer to? What piece has been left out?" Arslan reviewed his own life and being with that question.

"The only one that's missing, your majesty." Narsas answered wisely from a dark corridor and then stepped into the light.

"I see...I think," the king looked at his strategist. "Dear Lord Narsas, what have you been up to...weaving more of my life no doubt!"

"That exactly, my king." He pulled out the map of the world, from that time.

"You've finished?" Arslan's happy voice sounded. Narsas smiled. "I had no idea, when I commissioned my royal artist to make me a detailed map that it would be done so soon." He took the large unrolled map into his hands. "It's beautiful, Narsas!"

"I suppo$se there could be other people who could've done better, but I don't think they exist!"

"I'm sure." Daryun said wryly with one eye brow cocked. Narsas acknowledged his friend's comment with a look and a fling of his hair over his shoulder.