"he was apart of the gemini coven." jocelyn breathed out. "tell me you're not about to tell me what i think you're going to say."

"i was young. impulsive. my relationship with rudy was struggling. the man, joshua, had just lost some of his children in a terrible accident. we found comfort in one another—"

"not only was i lied to about why you left, but i was also lied to about who my father is." jocelyn's veins showed under her eyes as the anger grew. bonnie was quick to step in front of her sister, taking a hold of her arms.

bonnie flinched away when she felt the girl siphon from her. jocelyn was too angry to feel guilty for hurting the girl. when jocelyn made a move towards their mother, bonnie was quick to put a pain inflicted spell on the girl. jocelyn dropped to her knees, holding her head in her hands as she let out a groan. "calm down, jocelyn!"

"did grams know too?" jocelyn peered up at her mother, using all the strength she had left. she couldn't deny how strong bonnie actually was. when abby sent the girl a hesitant nod, the heretic felt the sobs threaten to fall from her lips.

"i'm going to step outside." elena whispered to abby, becoming uncomfortable and out of place in the room. the doppelgänger made her way out the front door, leaving the bennett's to finish their talk.

bonnie dropped the spell after a moment, seeing the way her sisters breathing began to steady. the witch fell to her knees as well, too scared to touch the heretic, but close enough to bring comfort to her.

"i just want to know the truth." jocelyn said after the long moment of silence. "why didn't you come home? is that why? you were too ashamed of your afflictions to face me?"

abby let out her own breath, feeling a tear fall down her cheek at the heartbroken expression on her daughters features. "i had no magic. i was in a new city, then i realized i had a chance to be someone else. to be abby wilson, the woman not abby bennett, the witch. i'm not proud of what i did, jocelyn. leaving you behind to deal with that trauma or leaving bonnie behind without a word. i ran, i know i ran, but you both had rudy and your grams and okay, let's face it, your grams is way better at this stuff than i am."

jocelyn wiped the tears away roughly, standing to her feet. bonnie followed the girls actions, her eyebrows furrowed.

"you don't know?" bonnie questioned, though she knew the answer. abby didn't need either to speak what happened, for by the looks on both the girls faces just reassured her thoughts.

"how?" abby mumbled, crossing her arms over her chest as the tears continued to build.

"we were doing a rough spell and we both exhausted ourselves." bonnie couldn't help the tears that fell down her own cheeks. "her more than me and it'll always haunt me because i didn't just lose my grams that night— i lost jocelyn too."

jocelyn felt her heart break at her sisters words. "bonnie, i should've never blamed you for that." bonnie met her sisters gaze for a moment, both communicating just by a look.

"she raised you both right." abby spoke softly, guilt never leaving her chest. "i'm sure she'd be very proud of you two."

before anyone could say another word, jocelyn felt her attention peak at the sound of a familiar vampire's voice coming from outside the home. she let out a growl before disappearing from the room, appearing behind stefan just as jamie fired the shotgun.