FORTY-TWO

"THE WIFE THOUGHT I WAS A MISTRESS!"

Peter Parker stood next to his aunt, the Iron Spider suit clad against his body, hands clammy as he stared out over the crowd. They laughed at May's attempt to make light of the situation. Hundreds of people had gathered and donated to the charity fund started to help people who lost their houses and belongings in the Blip.

"The grandma," she took a breath, laughing along with the crowd, "—thought I was a ghost!" The spot next to Peter was empty, and he stared at it, glancing at the clock. Nadia was supposed to be there, they were supposed to get through this together. Where was she?

"It was really a mess," chuckled May, gesturing about with grandeur, "Thank you for coming to support those who were misplaced in the Blip, and of course, thank you, to our very own Spider-Man!" Peter snapped from his thoughts and gave the crowd a thumbs up. May nodded, as if beckoning him to say a few words.

"Uh..." The microphone echoed and rang as he accidentally knocked it with the chin of his mask. "Thank you... Mrs. Parker for having me. And... thank you guys for having me." He have another awkward thumbs up and backed away, hands on hips.

While the audience cheered again, May stepped up. "Thank you Spider-Man! He'll be right back to take photos and videos— thank you!" And with that, May and Peter retreated backstage behind the silky black curtain.

"That was amazing," awed the boy, de-helmeting once the curtain closed. May grinned at her nephew, raising her hand for a high-five. "That was great."

"Ah, that was so cool! I was so nervous!" beamed Peter, and May chuckled. "I felt a little stiff, like I was out of pocket—" began the woman.

"No, no you were great!"

"Yeah, well, I did think you were a little stiff," she said, patting his shoulder encouragingly. His smile slid a little, but he nodded nonetheless. "Yeah, yeah I felt that too."

"It's fine, it's fine it's fine!" crowed May, shaking her head and smiling proudly. "Did you get your passport?"

"Check," a voice called, in walking Nadia with their passports in hand, her suit folded over one arm. Peter grinned upon seeing his girlfriend, bringing her under his arm and into his side. "That's great, thank you. You're the best." He pressed a kiss to her cheek, and her face went red.

Nadia couldn't help but smile, catching May's eyes. "S-sorry I was late. Took me forever to get through the line," she said. May nodded in understanding.

The back door opened again, but this time, it was Happy Hogan who entered, a large cardboard check signed by Pepper Potts in his arms. "Hey, sorry I'm late."

"Happy, hey..." muttered Peter, glancing at his aunt, who stepped forward with a big smile. "Oh, you look lovely," Happy greeted her. May's eyes ran down the front of his suit, and she smiled bashfully. "Thanks, you too."