THIRTY-EIGHT

THE LAKE AT TONY STARK'S CABIN GLIMMERED BRIGHTLY

Nadia sat on the shore, her bare toes just barely touching the blue water. The loud argument that the devastated Avengers held on the dock wafted into her ears, but she wasn't listening.

Peter's watch sat in the palm of her hand; she ran her fingers over the surface as she looked out over the water, squinting her eyes in the sun. She wished he were here. More so in that moment than ever. He knew her like the back of his hand— he would know what to do next, how to move on.

Although, she did know what they were to do next. Rocket had already begun making the gauntlet to wield the infinity stones, and soon he would be back in her arms. But it was hard to celebrate, with Natasha gone. She had sacrificed herself for the Soul Stone, sacrificed herself for the fate of the universe.

Nadia swallowed roughly, placing the watch into her pocket and picking up the small bouquet of yellow daisies laid on the ground. She picked a flower from the stem and pushed it through the water.

"I like the new look."

Nadia jumped a little, turning over her shoulder to see Tony waltzing up. She hadn't even noticed they'd finished their conversation. "Thanks..." Nadia mumbled, staring at the reflection of her newly cut hair in the water. It was straighter and unevenly cut after she chopped her hair to shoulder length in Tony Stark's bathroom. "Cutting your hair impulsively is the best way to deal with emotional turmoil."

Tony chuckled lightly, coming to rest beside her. He eyed the flowers in her hands. "What's that?"

"When Nat and I lived in the compound together, it was dark and depressing and sad. But one thing never changed—" Nadia shook her head slowly, smiling sadly. "She always made sure there was a vase of yellow daisies on the kitchen table... It was such a small thing, but it was something good." She tossed another flower into the water, watching it float away. "I figured they were her favorite." With everything happening, Nadia thought that a small "funeral" was the least she could do, even though Natasha deserved the world.

Tony smiled, his eyes locked on the water. "They were." She wasn't sure if Tony just said that to make her feel better or if it was the truth.

He patted her shoulder, beckoning her to stand. "C'mon. It's time to get our guy back." Nadia grinned.

。・:*:・゚★ 。・:*:・゚

"ALRIGHT, THE GLOVE'S READY. Question is, who's gonna snap their freakin' fingers?"

The room was still as the Avengers thought over Rocket's question. Thor stood, brushing the hair from his eyes. "I'll do it."

Scott glanced at him, scowling. "Excuse me?"

"It's okay." Thor stumbled over to the gauntlet, falling into the table it rested on. Immediately, Steve and Tony reached to stabilize him. "Wait, Wait, Thor, just wait—" Steve pleaded as the god fought against him weakly. "We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet."