03︱a beachy day

Start from the beginning

"Eyes on the road," Ashley smacked Eddie's arm, scolding him gently.

"I was just kidding, babe. Chill out," Eddie retorted with a grin.

"No, I will not chill."

I quickly intervened before Eddie could respond. "Both of you, just shut up," I interjected, trying to maintain peace.

Eddie sighed, resigning to my request. "Whatever soothes your mind, Vida. We're almost there, guys."

"Drew, what is the pettiest reason you've ever broken up with a girl?" Clyde asked, redirecting the conversation.

Andrew pondered for a moment. "She would always tear my tissue paper carelessly. I mean, what are the dotted lines for?!" he exclaimed, eliciting laughter from all of us. Why on earth was she cutting tissue paper for him?

"We have arrived!" Eddie announced after a few minutes, pulling up at the beach.

We all exited the car, grabbing our picnic essentials from the trunk. I carried a blanket and two buckets, fully prepared to build a sandcastle.

As soon as my feet touched the ground, a cool breeze caressed my skin. The sand gleamed with a soft shade of gold, akin to a king's crown. The ocean breathed, its surface rising and falling in perfect rhythm, while the sun bestowed upon me the warmth of summer. I adored the beach—the boats gracefully sailing on the water, the joyous laughter of children, and the horses galloping across the hot golden sand.

We found a spot and set up our belongings. I enlisted Eddie's help in applying sunscreen before settling down on a foldable chair. From there, I observed Shawn, Phoebe, Ashley, and Eddie engaging in a water fight, while Clyde, Brianna, and Drew occupied themselves with beach volleyball.

Deciding to catch up on any new messages, I reached for my phone and discovered three new ones.

The first was from my mom: "Hey, hun! How's everything going at the house? If you need anything, remember I'm only one call away."

I replied, "Hey, Mom. Everything is going well. Sorry for the delayed response, and I'll definitely reach out if I need anything."

Next, I noticed a message from Katie. Oh boy, he must have been taken aback by those messages.

Who are you??

I contemplated explaining everything, but where was the fun in that? Why not have a little fun instead?

Well hello there, Katie :)

He replied almost instantly, prompting us to continue the conversation.

How do you know my name?

So Katie is your name huh?

It isn't.

Then what is?

I'm not telling a total stranger stalker my name.

It wouldn't hurt to be nice you know??

If I wasn't nice, would I be replying you?

That's because you enjoy talking to me.

Dude, I just met you.

We haven't technically met, and I'm not a dude, Katie.

Whatever you say, weirdo.