Chapter 21

Body aching, head pounding, a too-bright light broke through the damp wooden den. Rascal gasped, pain searing every nerve in his half-slaughtered being. Panting, his stomach churned when he realized he was laying in a bloody puddle... His blood...

He turned over a paw. The sight of it was disturbing; Rubbed raw. Dark red scrapes trailing on his pad. Black, purple and green bruises patched their unhealthy colors on his skin.

Rascal checked his other paws. To his horror, they were just like the first. Now, the metallic scent of his blood set his belly wanting to regurgitate the meal he had shared with Misty.

Misty! His heart ached for his mate. She must be worried sick! And what would the pups think? Are they comforted? How would Misty tell them he was missing?

"Where even am I?" Rascal's voice sounded like rubbing two stones together: dry and lifeless.

He tried to stand, but the fiery pain his pads caused him to sink down.

"You're in Red Fang's camp."

Rascal spun around at the voice, his hackles lifting defensively.

Mona stood in the entrance. Her commanding form outlined against the bright world beyond the confines of this filthy den.

She stepped in. The silky strands of brown fur fluttered when a warm breeze found its way inside. Guarded fury sparkled in her amber optics.

Rascal tried to stand, to intimate her, but to no avail, the affliction in his weak muscles forced him down.

"We can't have you escaping," Mona replied in a cold tone. "So we stripped your pads, now you're unable to walk."

Rascal seethed at the she-wolf's unsympathetic aura. He wanted to smack that mocking look off her face.

"I'll get out." He rasped. "You can't stop me. No one will."

Mona let out a dry laugh. "Don't get your hopes up too high." She pinned her ears. "You won't have much of that, mate of a murderer!"

The black wolf stared at Mona, confused. "What are you talking about?"

The she-wolf's amber eyes clouded briefly. But returned to her rage just as fast.

"Your mate murdered mine." She hissed. "That snake you call, Misty, killed my mate, Diablo."

Rascal felt triumph flash in his veins. "She's the best fighter in all of Lifeless Forest. I'm proud of her." He tipped his head to one side. "Finally got a taste of your own medicine? Now you're crying about it?"

Mona kicked him. Rascal groaned, rolling over.

Mona flexed her shoulders. "I should kill you! To avenge my Diablo!" She circled him. "But, I know exactly the pain I want you to feel. Next opportunity I get, I'll put your Misty to rest. Forever. Yes, that sounds satisfying. Don't you think so?"

Alarm climbed into Rascal's heart. He glared at Mona, a boost of energy helped him rise to his paws. He locked his flaming emeralds on her. Confidence was absolutely certain in his mind.

Mona turned to leave, but Rascal chuckled, low and breathy. The she-wolf faced him, confusion in her expression.

"I wouldn't try that if I were you," Rascal wasn't worried. "You'll be shredded within the blink of an eye."

"I'm not afraid," Mona lifted her chin. "I've faced her before and threw her out of a tree."

"She was expecting pups," Rascal cut in sharply. "Now you'll face her at her strongest. Nothing is more powerful than a mother's love."

Mona's eyes flashed. "I know how that feels. Diablo left me with a precious gift; his daughter and son." She marched up to Rascal and stood nose to nose with him. "And I will make sure, that every breath they take, they know that you're the enemy! That they'll kill your pups someday!"

Mona whipped around and exited. Rascal was left alone with his anger.

~~~

"I'll force you to your knees!" Mona snarled.

Misty let the enemy have her wishful thinking. She had volunteered to go on the search for Rascal. Skylark was the one to insist on leaving immediately. Bringing with him: Tyrant, Thunder, Stone, and Echo. Misty hadn't been asked to join. She wanted to find her mate, and bring him home.

While they were out searching for Rascal, a Red Fang ambush took them by surprise. Now, Misty was face to face with Mona.

"By all means, try that," Misty whispered.

Mona flew at Misty. Her paws grasped Misty's shoulders, and the two tumbled away from the group. Misty moved with the momentum, and when the timing was right, she lashed out at her opponent, her back legs connecting with Mona's stomach.

The brown wolf grunted. She landed on her back, and Misty didn't waste a second. The Flame Woods wolf jumped on Mona and pinned her down, paws on her throat. Misty leaned in close, showing her sharp fangs in a threatening display of dominance.

"You...murdered...my mate." Mona choked out.

Misty tilted her head. "I only did what should've been done a long time ago." Her voice was quiet, holding a frost-bitten venom. "I can't believe you have the guts to blame me for murder when that's all your Pack has done."

Mona surged upward, head butting Misty. Misty's vision spun, causing her paws to splay out beneath her. She crashed to the ground. Mona jumped on her instantly. The blood pounded in Misty's ears. She blinked a few times. Once her vision refocused, she found herself struggling against Mona's firm hold on her shoulders.

Mona let out a dry laugh. "I hoped I'd get this opportunity."

Misty shoved her claws in Mona's shoulders, curling her toes to hook them in farther. She thrust her hind legs up, tossing Mona over in a precise flip. Misty scrambled to her paws and lunged. Mona hit Misty with a blow to her jaw, which sent the white wolf barreling against a tree.

Misty groaned. She forced herself up and stumbled into the shadows of the forest. Thankfully, Mona didn't see her. That would give her the element of surprise. The brown she-wolf turned in a circle, searching urgently for the white threat within. Misty avoided every possible stick or pebble in her way, prowling in the darkest crevices of the shadowed trees keeping a watchful eye on her enemy in the open clearing. Mona twitched her ears for the slightest sound.

"You don't deserve to inhabit this place." Mona hissed, her teeth clenched. "Wolves like you don't belong here. Only the strongest survive."

Misty stopped, her fur rising on her shoulders.

"I don't know why you keep trying anyway." The brown wolf held an edge. "You know you'll end up as nothing but a mere pile of fur."

Misty circled until she was behind Mona, perfectly in range. She didn't waste time. With a massive leap, she landed on Mona, forcing her down, and driving her fangs into the soft flesh of her throat.

Mona gasped, wild eyes shakily fixed on Misty. Blood coursed down her fur to her clenched paws. She glared at Misty as blood poured out of her mouth.

An alarming smirk found her blood-dripping lips. "I'll have my revenge.... Just you...wait."

All of the breath from Mona's body exited in a quiet exhale. Another opponent dead. Misty smiled. No remorse in her veins. Mona's final words were nothing but an empty void.

Oooohhh man!!! I'm getting some fine ideas for a fourth book! I finally know how I want this story to end...hehe.

Things are about to get juicy....

Catch Ya Later!
-15thSoccerGirl