Chapter 10 - Hanging By A Thread

*Beth's Point Of View*

"Pick up, Harry, pick up, pick up!" I muttered as I listened to the phone ring and ring, only to hear "Hey, you've reached Harry, leave a message and I'll call you back". A loud beep rang out.

"Harry, I can't do it. I can't do this anymore. I need you. I need someone to talk to. I think I'm going to end it" I was cut off by another beep, telling me that my time was up.

I feel so bad about my fight with Harry. It was really a pointless fight, but I feel like I started it.

But that isn't the reason I'm killing myself.

What those people said to me at the playground really hit me hard. I knew they hated me, though I had no clue why, but they hadn't been that awful in a long time. Plus the things people were saying to me on facebook had put me in tears. The stress of Harry and Zayn finding out all in one night was weighing down on me. And the fact that the one person I could really talk to was not not talking to me didn't help any,

This may not seem like enough to set someone over the edge, but I was already on the edge. I was just hanging by a thread.

I paced around my room for an hour straight, debating whether or not to actually do it.

It was about five a.m. when I decided against it.

But then I thought of those terrible things those people were saying to and about me.

May as well give them what they want... Right?

I'd had everything laid out for a few hours by then. The bottle of pain pills that would finally make the pain go away. The razor that I could cut myself with for the very last time. The note I had written and rewritten so many times.

My heart pounded in my chest as I swallowed handfuls of pills. They didn't do anything for a while, just made me sleepy. When I first started to black out, I figured it would be a good time to make the last mark on my arm. It was deep, and I realized that maybe I would bleed out before the pills took effect. My vision went a purpley red color, though some people swore they saw black or white when they were dying.

*Harry's Point Of View*

The next morning, I rolled over and looked at my phone.

Three missed calls and one new voice message. All from Beth. This couldn't be good.

I stood up, put on my pants and a shirt, and listened to my voice mail.

"Harry, I can't do it. I can't do this anymore. I need you. I need someone to talk to. I think I'm going to end it" Beth's voice cracked when she said 'end it'. Or was that just my heart breaking?

"Fuck, fuck, fuck!" I screamed when I realized what I just heard.

"Harry?" Kate muttered from a few feet away.

I'd totally forgotten about Kate.

"I'm really sorry Kate, but I have to go. It's an emergency!" I ran out the door and all the way to my car. I must've been driving way, way over the speed limit, but I didn't care. Beth could be dead.

Her mom was at work by now, as it was seven o'clock. Shit, I'd gotten that message at four. She'd already be gone.

No, no, no! This can't be happening. This isn't real. This is just some sick, twisted nightmare.

I finally arrived at her house, let myself in, and bounded up the stairs, calling her name.

"BETH!" I screeched.

No reply.

I found her in the bathroom, an empty pill bottle next to her, her arm bleeding, unconscious, limp and lifeless.