You're Clumsy

enjoy while i meticulously scoop through these stories and edit them to a point where i can sit comfortably knowing 11,000 of you guys might actually be reading this-

friends to lovers

Edited

Taron's P.O.V

"You're strange."

"And you're clumsy."

"Shut up."

Y/N Y/L/N's influence in my life is like how a barnacle attaches itself to a boat and never let's go.

She's a bit of a knobhead, honestly. But she's always been right there and after so many years I became content in the fact that she's my knobhead.

I met her in a dingy little café, I don't think I could go back and express how important it was that I was there that day to my younger self.

My aunty owned the cafe and I was 10 when Y/N walked through it's doors. She was 9 when she had just moved back into town with her uncle. Her uncle worked with my aunty before he first moved away and apparently the two were smitten years back. Came in to test the waters, I suppose.

Coming from school not long before, my aunty was babysitting me in the café, entertaining my tiny little brain with a curly straw in a too-thick strawberry milkshake.

She wore sun-bleached overalls with a striped orange tee underneath. Her feet were covered with sneakers that must've been older than me and her hair fell in front of her face from the wind outside.

She wore a toothy grin when her father introduced her, shaking both mine and my aunty's hands. My aunty fell for her charm immediately, offering the works of baked goods and delicacies I didn't know how to pronounce.

Time passed. We sat and talked. The first time she called me strange was shortly after I commented on her tripping over the seat. As soon as the word clumsy came out of my mouth the friendship was inevitable.

When she started school, the very first day she head butted a bully in my class for throwing my lunch in the bin. I must have praised her for weeks after and at one point it must have worked because she stood by. We stood up for each other. Even if for me it was excusing her absence from class as a dentist appointment and not the fact that she got distracted by bugs during lunch and kept looking for more.

We looked out for each other. We supported each other. And most importantly, we understood each other.

I told her everything. She told me everything. And that was the way it was to stay.

Even if every second sentence we'd insult each other, there was not one fight that was heavy of heart, not a single argument we were actually out to get each other. The nature of our friendship was founded on sarcasm and grew from genuine respect.

Our parents made sure that we were to be together for all of our schooling once they had recognised our odd bond. Most outings or activities involving my family, they tagged along. The same principle worked vice versa.

Both of our first jobs took place in that café. Probably not the best workplace duo in perspective, considering that on the first day we ate on the job, got covered in flour and somehow Y/N broke the dough machine. But in some ways it was great to finally be behind that counter rather than in front of it. Especially with Y/N.

She once managed to fall on milkshake machine and walked out looking like a natural disaster.

Never quite gripped coordination.

We encountered more bullies, teen drama, relationships, school, family issues and general life together. Even then, when the bullies were too big to headbutt, Y/N stayed right there. Right by me.

Even as we changed and our bodies changed, even as high school took its toll on us, we were still Taron and Y/N; we still stuck together.

She'd come to my window in the middle of the night crying and I'd let her in and lull her to sleep. I'd run to her when my girlfriend cheated on me and she'd sit there and do my makeup or draw on my legs or make me cook with her and just distract me from how pathetic I was feeling.

Sometimes, we'd just meet somewhere and sit. We didn't always need to talk. Or bicker. Sometimes we just listened to the silence together and she was the only person that made the quiet comfortable.

When I got into Drama School, Y/N was one of my biggest supporters. Every single test, assessment, performance and bit of work I did was done well because she literally hammered me some days, but also because she believed.

Y/N believed I could when I didn't.

I remember graduating. People were very happy for me, but Y/N was ecstatic. My mother and her had convinced the family and some friends to throw a little surprise party that took place straight after the ceremony.

Even when she called me a twat and made fun of my performance I couldn't stop smiling because she'd done this and she'd done everything for me.

That was the day I let myself accept that Y/N was so much more than my partner in crime. Than my best friend.

I came to terms with the fact that Y/N has always been everything I've ever needed.

So when I started getting roles in films, when she had gotten herself a columnist job, when our adolescence slipped away, I made her aware of how much she actually meant to me.

I let her know why I had stuck around for this long.

Finally, she became my knobhead.

"Oi, Egerton. What's on your mind?" The couch cushion beside me sinks, and I feel a head resting on my legs. I look down to a shit eating grin directed back up at me.

"You." She grins.

"Of course I am, you sucker." Her grin widens.

"Yeah, you." She sits up, matching her height with mine and wrapping her arms around my shoulders.

"Have I ever told you how strange you are?" She whispers.

"Yes, almost as much as I've reminded you of how clumsy you are." She rolls her eyes and kisses me and yeah.

Yeah, this is everything I've ever needed.

-cheers