| t w e n t y |

♢♢♢♢

I was surprised I'd been able to go to school the next day. But even though this was the case, I walked around so cautiously you'd think I was a thief; so jittery, peering around as if I was afraid of being caught. Pull yourself together, James, I continued to tell myself, it's not a damn apocalypse. It wasn't. I was just so unfamiliar with people feeling a certain way towards me... and now that it was him, Thomas who felt that way... I was skeptical as all hell. I really just wanted to know why. Was it the way I acted? The way I spoke? The way I thought, joked, looked? Him and I didn't even speak that often. Maybe it was my peculiarity that attracted him. But still; for what reason? And for how long was "the longest time"? I was so caught up in my own thoughts that, typically, I wasn't watching where I was going, causing me to walk into someone.

"Oups, sor-" I didn't even allow him to complete his apology for flinching so violently I actually may have scared him. He stood there, blinking. I slowly looked up at him who began to show his blindingly white teeth as he smiled at me.
Ah, c'est toi. All okay?" he asked, placing a hand on my shoulder. I tingled at his touch, just looking at him and blinking. I probably looked like an idiot, gawking at him like a goldfish. He closed his mouth, raising his eyebrows at me, then snapping me out of my imaginary world.
"Oh, I, uh, well, um- I didn't, uh, I was just- uh, my, uh, I couldn't see your, uh, you when I was... uh- fuck, I'm sorry." I sighed, pressing my palm to my forehead. Why was I such an idiot?! He chuckled, removing his hand from my shoulder.
C'est bien, mec. Would you like me to help you with that?" he was probably referring to my red face which then grew even redder as I interpreted what "that" was totally wrong. I just nodded as he began to lead me in the direction of the bathroom. I felt as if my head was going to explode from overheating. 

In the process of rinsing my red face, the bell went. I was late for physics. Then I paused. He was in physics with me. We were both late for physics. Although, he didn't seem to care all that much, and neither did I at this point because I was alone with him in the boys bathroom. Shut the fuck up, I told my mind. I sighed and looked towards him,
"Thanks, Gilbert. We should, uh, probably go..." I told, blinking again like an idiot as he just shrugged. What did that mean?
"Its not a, how you say, big deal, really." What? I frowned,
"How? I mean- why?" I questioned. He shrugged again. Was he actually about to bunk class with me? Him? Gilbert Du Motier? ME? I coughed and he smiled at me.
"Honestly, who gives a fuck about that damn lesson or that dumbass professor? I definitely don't." He explained, winking at me. He was hot when he swore. He was hot when he winked. He was hot when he existed.

Pull yourself together you dipshit! I thought to myself.

I tried to act casual, shrugging too.
"Guess I don't either. I just ain't planning to get shat on today, yeah."
He nodded.
"I get it. I don't know, I just wanna talk to you, mec."
Did he just say that? He did. I cleared my throat and nodded.
"That's cool."
He smiled at me and gestured towards the door then began walking. I nodded and followed him out. Where was he taking me? I didn't ask, just went with him. He walked alongside me, reaching over to place his hand behind my neck at some point. His hand was cool and I shuddered again. 
Alors," he began, "how are you? Hm? How've you been?"
I didn't know how to respond. Don't be complicated. I told myself.
"F- uh, fine. And you?"
He nodded.
"⁴Assez bien. No stress?" he inquired. Actually, not quite.
"I mean... there's always gonna be a little stress... you know?" I mentioned, looking up at him. He nodded again.
"Of course. Any, well, current stress?" there was a lot of that. Although, I thought before answering. I was actually becoming slightly nervous. Why was he asking me all this? I shrugged.
"Well, I mean, it depends, you know." I tried. He nodded once again.