|prologue|

♢♢♢♢

Ecstasy.

The single word can send shivers down one's spine.

Ecstasy.

A feeling unknown to many. Far too many, at that.

Ecstasy.

It can be experienced by anyone. Man, woman, child.

Ecstasy.

It isn't just a feeling, it's a powerful feeling.

My name is James Madison Jr. of James Madison Sr. and Nelly Madison Sr. I was born into a family of eight children. That's right, eight. Four boys, including me, and four girls. I know what you're thinking, "Eight kids?! Sounds chaotic, but you must have so much fun together!"
Well, no, not exactly. Sometimes, but not enough.

As we all know, in every family with more than two kids, there's always the quiet one. The one who isn't talked about as much as the others. The secluded one who keeps to himself, hiding in the shadows of all the other siblings. They call him things like depressed. Isolated. Anxious. Awkward. Whether he is, or not.

You've most probably guessed it by now; yes. It's me. I'm that kid. I've always been that kid. I wasn't born that kid. I didn't want to be that kid. But that's how life goes. You don't have to want something to become it. And, well, some things you just can't fix. No matter how hard you try.

My mother always told us that nothing lasts forever. I never used to believe her. I never thought I'd escape the prison I'd put myself in. I never thought I'd get better. I never thought anyone cared. Anyone understood. Not until that very day, the day I first experienced it.

Ecstasy.

You're probably wondering what I mean when I say that. Let me tell you: There are billions of people in this world. So many you'd think we'd never run out. People can be kind to you. People can help you when you need it. People can be there for you when you feel alone. So many can love you, and you can love just as many. But amongst all these people, there will always be just one.

The one.

The one who understands you more than anyone else you know. The one who's there for you whether they need to be or not. The one who will support you through everything you do. The one who will love you and stay by your side when the rest of the world takes a step back. The one who's almost as broken as you inside, but remains strong all the time. The one who will have a smile on their face no matter what they're going through. And we all have that person. You may know them, you may not. But listen to me right now. Once you find that person - and you'll know once you've found them - but once you've found them, never - and I repeat - NEVER let them go. Ever.

But always remember that just because you think someone is meant for you, if they don't feel the same way - let them go. No matter how hard. Because if you hold on to a breaking branch for too long, you will fall.

That person is supposed to bring you happiness. Happiness like never before. And that brings us back to the one simple word, with such meaning behind it:

Ecstasy.

♢♢♢♢