Chapter 11 - More than just friends

She came awake, stretching as sleep fell away. Turning her head, she gazed around and realized that it was already morning. The long hours of sleep were just what her body needed. Her tiredness was gone and her strength was replenished. She sat up, suddenly remembering the intimate moment she shared with Emmanuel.

They had talked, embraced, and confessed to one another, and they had kissed. She had been afraid to tell him her feelings. She feared their friendship may never be the same again. However, it was such a big surprise to hear him say those three special words. She was overwhelmed with relief and bliss when he had taken her in his arms with tenderness.

Pushing the blanket off her lap, she headed into the bathroom, careful enough not to put much weight on her hurt ankle. It was still a little sore from yesterday. She washed her face, brushed her teeth, and put on a yellow tank top with white shorts before tidying up her hair. When she was all set, she went out into the hallway.

She wanted to see Emmanuel. She tried his room first, but he wasn't there. She then tried the dining room, where her mother told her where he was currently at. Heart pounding, she went to the garden. She found Emmanuel there, settled under the tree, sitting on the patch of grass with swords beside and in his hands. He was wearing a sleeveless red shirt with a white hood, white shorts, and a pair of black wristbands. The sight of him made her heart raced more.

Glancing up from his sword collection he brought with him, he gave her his cheerful, boyish smile.

"Mornin', Yen! Has your fever gone down?"

"Yeah…"

"You sure it's okay to be out of bed? How's your ankle?"

"It's fine…"

Emmanuel patted the space beside him. "Sit down with me."

She sat down, feeling nervous by the fact they were more than friends now. They were an item, a couple. Emmanuel felt the same, being more than friends, he is getting quite nervous, stopping the shivers he kept on getting.

"Still can't believe I said those mushy stuff," Emmanuel joked, chuckling, as he scratched the back of his head. He looked a little nervous. "So unlike me, right?"

"I thought it was kind of sweet," she said. "Yesterday felt like a dream. I never expected you to share the same feelings."

"Same here. A guy like me getting a girl as awesome as you? Who knew I stood a chance?" He leaned back, sighing in relief. "So, anyway, we're official now, right?"

She nodded with a smile. "I feel lighter now."

"Me too. Keeping it all inside was kinda hard."

"I guess we were both waiting for the right moment to say it."

"Have you told big bro yet?"

"No," she answered flatly.

"How about your mom?"

Julienne grimaced, lifting a hand to her forehead. "They'll party all night if they find out about 'us'. I don't want to get dragged into their over-the-top fete. They do things with so much flair that it's disturbingly amusing yet very, very annoying."

Emmanuel chuckled. "Like mother, like son… But they need to know, Yen."

"No worries… I wasn't planning on keeping 'us' a secret, you know."

"I'm glad your mom and brother are okay with me. It's a whole different story with your dad. Well, I'm not expecting him to accept me any time soon."

"He'll come to accept you sooner…or later."

He entwined his hand with hers. "You're my girl, with or without your father's approval."