#66 Writing Songs

Luke: "Fuck", you heard Luke swear, dropping his guitar and a notebook on the couch. "What's wrong, babe?", you asked. "I can't seem to write this song", he huffed. "Let me see it", you said, taking the notebook from where he had dropped. You analyzed it for awhile, feeling Luke sit down next to you and put his head on your shoulder. "So?", he asked. "It sorts of remind me of Grease", you said, pecking his cheek, "I liked it". "But I can't go on", he whined. "Here, I can help", you took a pen from his hand. "Take a leap of faith and forget the world, ditch the school dance and runaway with your girl. They all deserve it, every boy and girl - with a little of your dreams and lots of rock 'n roll.", you read out loud, "You could go on with: take a leap of faith and ask for luck, take your baby's hand and runaway with her. Tie your guitar tight to your heart, and off you go to the brand new start". "Wow, I didn't know you were good at this!", Luke smiled. "Yeah, neither did I", you laughed. Line by line, by the end of the night, the two of you had written a brand new song.
Ashton: "Hey, (Y/N)", Ashton called you. "Yeah?", you replied. "Remember that one time you told me you loved poetry?", he asked. "Yeah...", you said, unsure of where this was going. "Well, do you think you could help me write a song?", he asked, lifting his hands to show paper and pen. "Sure!", you smiled excitedly. "So", he said as you sat down on the couch. "So, what did you write?", you asked. "Uh, nothing", he mumbled, "I can't seem to put things down". "Well," you took the paper and pen from his hand, "What do you want to write about?". "Well," he blushed, "About this girl and how everything she does makes me fall in love more and more with her". Your blush was quick to match his: "Oh", you mumbled, smiling. "Yeah...", he trailed off. "So you could write something like: there's a void where my heart should be, and it's got your name in it. Love, you got me out of my mind", you looked at him, waiting for reactions. "Go on," he smiled, "I liked it". "Uh, I've always tried to run away, too scared to face the sound echoing in my head. Love, you got me out of my mind". "And what next?", he asked. "Ashton!", you exclaimed, "You need to write this too!". "Okay, okay", he said, "And my dreams, the one place I could escape, was suddenly filled with your face. Love, you got me out of my mind". Compliment after compliment, you and Ashton wrote a love song about each other together.
Michael: You were quite a successful singer and songwriter, so it was no surprise people were often asking for you to write songs with them. However, when 5 Seconds of Summer manager asked your manager for you to help them, you were overly excited. The boys were extremely calm, the opposite of what you expected them to be. Then again, you figured someone had 'put them in their place'. "Okay, so, what do you have in mind?", you asked, sitting down in a chair. "We were trying to write something about going out, being young and having fun", Ashton explained, "But we just can't seem to get the feeling down. "Well, maybe that's 'cause you're not really feeling it, you know?", you tried to explain, "I find it very difficult to sit down and write songs - usually, the words just come to me". "So what do you suggest?", Luke asked you. "I suggest we should go out, be young and have fun". With that, you had one of the most fun days ever. You ate junk food, went to the beach, sang along to random songs on the radio - and you and Michael got along especially well. "Okay, what about this", you said while you were sitting in the sand, the amusement park behind you lighting the beach up, " 'Someday when we grow old, we'll look back to these days, we'll say: man, those were hell of days'?". "That's really good", Michael, who was sitting next to you, arms around your shoulder, commented. "Thanks", you smiled. "We could go on with: We'll reminisce with the best of the feelings, we'll say man, have we lived", Ashton suggested. "Good," you said, writing it down. "And then: nowadays time slipping by like sand falling out of our hands, 'man, I'm glad we enjoyed our times', we will comment", Michael suggested. "That's really good", you wrote that down, resting your hand on his chest - both of you getting comfortable with each other near.
Calum: "Cal, are you okay?", you asked, walking into your room - pieces of papers thrown everywhere. "No", he mumbled. "What's up?", you asked, taking some papers out of the way and sitting on your bed. "There's too much on my head, I can't write songs anymore", he sighed. "Well," you said, unfolding a piece of paper and grabbing a pen, "You should write something about that". "I cant!", he argued. "Here," you smiled at him, "I help". You scribbled something down. " 'Been getting some time off lately, and it's giving me time to think. You see, the problem with myself, is when I shouldn't be thinking, I overthink' ", he read. "I liked it". "Go on, then", you encouraged him. "My mom told me to get some time for myself, but she doesn't seem to get that's the problem. So, lover, you see, I apologize if these days I'm just not being me.". "Good", you said, writing down what he had just said. "Your turn", he said. "What? I thought this was you writing a song and me just giving it a start", you laughed. "Yeah, but I liked your start, so I think you should go on". "Let me see", you thought for a while, "And if I shut myself from you all night, you can scream to my face, scream 'till it breaks the glass in my mind. So I know that the answer to the question is let her inside". "I think we make a pretty good team!", Calum smiled.