0:01

"Sometimes I wish I was as technical as Nova, but then I mentally slap myself. Where's the fun in living inside the lines?" - Weston (Easy) Toledo

 Where's the fun in living inside the lines?" - Weston (Easy) Toledo

She danced through the living room like she was on stage. Cautious moments and seemingly effortless grace. Dance was the light of her life, the reason she woke up with a smile.

Despite having to quit due to lack of finance, Sylvain still carried her years of ballet training with her everywhere. It was obvious- everything she did was fluid and graceful.

Weston would do anything to see his sunshine let lose a bit. To him, Nova was a puddle of freshly poured gasoline, and he wanted to be her match. As soon as the thought crossed his mind, he crinkled his nose. Not in that way. Nova was beautiful, yes, absolutely gorgeous. Any man would be lucky to have her even glance at them, but he felt more like an older brother towards her. Fiercely protective, his heart so full of love for her that he would cry if he thought about it too long.

He leaned against the doorframe of his room, watching her pirouette to Right Back by Khalid. His nose crinkled again in disgust. That song deserved more. Free motion, fluid and unpredictable isolations. It did not call for so much technique, yet Nova found a way to make everything a five-star performance.

"Loosen up, Nova" He called out after watching her do a flawless attitude turn. "This isn't a stage, allow yourself to just feel and move"

"What do you think I'm doing?" She huffs in annoyance. All Easy ever says is to loosen up. Stop pointing your foot, slouch a little, sway your hips. To him, dance was both free and technical. To Nova, it was about technique only.

"Watch me" He chuckled and started to dance, swaying his hips and allowing his body to guide him wherever it wanted to go. Nova watched him in awe, how his freedom seemed to be deep within him. He had such a free spirit, Nova couldn't help being a bit jealous. She tried being like him in the confines of her room one night, and it felt terribly awkward. Her limbs too heavy and her brain screaming at her, telling her to fix her slouch.

"I can't do that, baby boy. You already know how I am" Nova went over to her best friend and wrapped her arms around him, stopping him from dancing. He smiled and let her hug him for a moment before playfully shoving the smaller girl away, pretending to dust invisible dirt off of his clothes.

"I cannot believe I let a homeless person touch me!" Weston said in an obnoxious voice, dramatically swaying his hips as he walked away. Nova's jaw dropped a little, mumbling an "I pay half the rent" before chasing after him.

"The poor! It reeks!" He shrieked once he heard her soft footsteps behind him. Nova couldn't help but laugh. Her and Easy had met a few years ago over Twitter and became best friends almost instantly. He was charming and easygoing and Nova was witty and practical. They filled in each other's blanks, instant best friends for life. They would Facetime almost every day between dance classes, school, and work, despite the timezones. When Weston hinted on wanting to move the big apple, Nova was more than elated. They picked an apartment, agreed to split the rent, and it's been happily ever after for a good six months.