28 ↝ golden ticket

• How the future unfolds for the pair of them—they get married, but they don't have any children. They do have two cats that they treat like children, though.

• A scene depicting their happy, love-filled life—standing under the oak tree that they "first" kissed under after Yoongi's parents have both passed away and they are to sell his childhood house. They reminisce about their young love and how the state of the world and their immaturity at the time caused them so much trouble and heartache.

• "But we're here now, together at last."

• "Until the end of time." 

One would think that the world would come up with a less morbid project than another World Cleanse, but some things are simply too much to ask.

It takes 36 years for Earth's renewable resources to reach critical levels once more, and with those red flags comes the return of The Culling. Its only difference being that, by law, the deaths must be conducted through euthanasia.

Neither of them could have anticipated that one of them would not even make it through the first round—that the very first month of The Culling's return would be marked by a pale green envelope, stamped with a government seal, in a letterbox Yoongi had made out of wood scraps over a decade ago. That such an innocent creation would come to hold a ticket to the sun, though only for a single passenger.

But, until that 36th year comes, they live and they love as if their every day together is their last. And perhaps that is why when the end of the month comes and their intertwined fingers are forced to fall loose, their smiles outweigh the tears.

Author's Note: even if this journey didn't end the way I had hoped it would, I'm so happy that you were here by my side for the ride nonetheless. thank you. thank you so much. I hope to see you again sometime.

take care. live happily.

love, tessa.