I look back at the clock. “I still have three hours.”

Aye mamas. Guess I’ll just hang out here until then.”

“My boss is here Tony. I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Lemme talk to him. Bet I can get him to let you go early.”

“Tony no,” I laugh. “You’re gonna get me fired is what’s gonna happen.”

“No. Really. I wanna talk to him.” Bob’s timing is incredible. He walks by to make a new pot of coffee. “Is that him?”

“Um,” I start. Bob comes up behind me.

“Hey Evie. This a friend from school?”

“Uh. Yeah. This is Tony.” Bob and Tony shake hands.

“I actually wanted to give you this.” Bob turns to me and hands me an envelope. “For all your hard work.” Bob pats me on the back then looks at Tony and back at me. “Did you wanna take the rest of the evening off? You’ve been working so hard.”

“Oh.” I look at Tony and he’s smiling from ear-to-ear. “Sure! That would be awesome.”

I take my apron off and pick up my backpack from the backroom. Ruth says goodbye to me as I’m walking out the door.

“Where do you wanna go?” Tony asks me as we walk down the street.

“I was actually thinking we could go to the warehouse where I dance sometimes. I have this routine I’ve been working on for awhile.”

“Sounds good to me negrita.

Tony and I make our way down First Street then dip down an alley towards the warehouse.

“Geez mamas. You come out here by yourself? This place looks kinda dangerous.”

I laugh. It is a dark alley but I’ve never felt uncomfortable. “It’s fine.” I take his hand and open the door to the warehouse and flick on the lights.

The warehouse is actually an abandoned dance studio. Mirrors line all four walls and the floors are wooden. Sometimes when I come, I’ll run into other dancers but besides that, no one knows about this place.

"Aye Evie." Tony looks around. "This is nice."

"Right? I’ll be right back. I’m gonna change." I change quickly in the bathroom and return in dark red tights, a sports bra and a loose muscle tee I cut up myself.

"Damn." Tony’s jaw hits the ground when I step out of the bathroom.

"Oh gosh." I can’t help but blush. Tony walks up to me and wraps his hands around my waist. I rest my hands on his chest and smile at him.

"Maybe we should just kiss," Tony murmurs against my lips.

"Maybe." I peck him on the cheek then push him away. "But I want you to see me dance first."

"Fine with me." Tony smiles.

"Can you put the music on?" I point to a boom box in the corner.

"This yours?" Tony turns it on.

"No. Another dancer brought it here. Skip to number three will ya?"

"Just for you." Tony cranks the boom box and soon Beggin by Madcon comes blaring out.

My dance style is a combination of hip-hop and contemporary. I’ve never actually taking a dance class but I love watching dance videos online and just kinda taught myself.

I block out everything except the music and start moving. It’s like nothing else exists.

My hips move this way then that. I swing my arms through the air and start spinning on my feet. One spin. Two spins. Three—

Tony catches me and I open my eyes.

"Beautiful." Tony’s lips are on mine before I can respond. His lips press into mine and I kiss him back.

"I wasn’t finished," I laugh.

"I know." Tony spins me around then rests his left ahnd on my hip and my right hand in his. "Dance with me?"

I nod and before I know it, we’re doing a salsa around the room.

"I didn’t know you could dance."

Tony laughs. “There’s a lot you don’t know about me Evette.”

"It’s—

Tony kisses me. “Yes. It’s Evie. I know.”

I laugh at him and we continue dancing.