"It's not that I don't like them. I just think they're up to no good. Keisha told me that Juan is part of Pandilla and is a drug dealer. How horrible is that?"

Tony looks away as we continue walking.

"Maybe he's just doing what he needs to do to get by and support his family."

"There's other ways to support your family Tony. He could go to college, or learn a trade or even start a little business that doesn't involve selling crack and heroin. Next thing you know, he's gonna be in jail or dead."

"You don't know anything Evie." Tony's comment comes out of nowhere. People are too busy rushing through the halls to notice that him and I are standing toe to toe in the hallway.

"Excuse me?" I say.

"You don't know what he goes through at home. I've known Juan for two years now and he deals with so much crap. His two little brothers got put into foster care and his mom is a druggie. You think going to college is on his mind?" Tony gets louder.

"You need to think before you speak. You sound so snobby sometimes. Dealing drugs is his only way of making enough money to get his mom in rehab and his brothers back home."

"Tony. I. I didn't mean to come off that way." I sway back and forth on my feet and the bell rings. For the first time, I ignore the bell and keep standing face to face with Tony. "I'm sorry."

He puts my books on the floor and steps closer to me. "And I'm sorry for getting loud. I just want you to know that for most of us, life isn't what it seems like on the outside. Okay?"

"What do you mean?"

Tony wraps his arms around me. "I mean this is East Side Ev. Kids are gonna do what they gotta do to survive. Whether that means dealing, stripping, prostituting. Ain't nobody in this school care about life outside St. Monica 'cept you."

"And you," I interrupt.

Tony smirks and looks at my lips. "I don't know about that mamacita."

Last week, I thought we were making progress but now I feel like me and Tony are back at square one.

"Yes. You're gonna get out of this ghetto." I stand up straighter to peck his cheek. "And I'm gonna help you. We can start doing some SAT practice tonight actually so you can take the test before the end of this year."

"Geez mamas. One day I'm getting high with my boys and the next, my girlfriend is helping me get read for the TSA."

I laugh. "One: it's SAT. And two: I'm not your girlfriend."

"Mmm." Tony kisses me softly on the lips. "Almost."

When we finally pull apart, I can't get rid of the smile on my face.

"You make me really happy Tony," I say into his chest.

He laughs and kisses the top of my head. "When I'm not drunk you mean."

"Yes. I like you more when you're not drunk."

"I haven't had a bottle since our last study date."

"Really?" I pull away from him and smile. "That's what? Five days? That's awesome Tony!"

"Only for you Evie."

We kiss once more then walk into literature 10 minutes late.

"How was school?" Tony asks Emily and Donny as we walk to his house after picking them up from the after school program. Thankfully, the two of them go to the same school, so it'll be easy for me and Tony to hang out more often.