Chapter One

Chapter One

It was like a fairytale, everything was so perfect and colorful...

Prince Charming on his way to save me from the castle...

"Paigeeee!"

Wait, Prince Charming, don't leave...

"Get up Paigeee!"

Why was the ground shaking?

Slam. I opened my eyes to see my little sister Mary holding a dripping snowball. Why was she holding a snowball? In my room? She lifted the snowball with a devious look on her seven year old face. She wouldn't... "You wouldn't."

She did. The freezing snowball hit me right in the face. Yeah, that was such a nice way to wake me up. Note the sarcasm. "Oops? My hand slipped?" She said it as a question. Poor girl has no clue how to lie.

"One, Two..." I began counting. Whenever I was about to kill someone, I'd count to five. Mary knew that well. As soon as I finished counting to two she ran out of my room and slammed the door behind her, before I could grab something and throw it at her.

I sat up and looked around at my room. We had just moved here a few days ago. I hated Tacoma, Washington. Everything is too cold and dark. I missed my old room in Florida, where things weren't below freezing, and mother nature wasn't having mood swings. My room has plain white walls. It's bigger than my old room, and the closet is too, but I still don't like it. I guess my mother was right when she said I don't like change. But my room is so... boring. I usually have posters and pictures of random stuff everywhere, and you can barely see my walls. I can't wait to cover up these walls.

I sat up and shook my snow covered hair, watching little snowflakes drift down. I quickly fixed my bed; I love my purple plaid bed set. I looked in the mirror in the bathroom and shrieked. My hair has never been this... haystack-ey. My perfect dark brown curls were flattened and matted against my head in places. I laughed to myself. That is so my new word. Haystack-ey. My poor attempt to brush it didn't work at all, so I just threw my head in the sink and got my hair wet and tried again. I quickly threw it up in a bun and bounced downstairs. About halfway down my face was not so kindly greeted with another snowball. "Mary!" The sound of her giggling echoed through the house, followed by a slam of the door. I ran outside and as soon as my foot hit the porch, I flew forward past the steps into the grass of my yard. Cold prickled my cheeks, arms, and legs. I screamed, but it sounded muffled against the snow. I stood up and didn't bother to dust the powdery white off of myself. Mary froze in her steps when she saw me, with a lethal glare on my face, marching towards her. I stopped and towered over her. "One.." It was merely a whisper; I was so upset.

She was gone. I've never even seen her move that fast before. I stayed where I was, staring off into the white horizon, and slipped into a daydream where I was back in sunny Florida.

A scream shattered my daydream. "Paigee! The door won't open!" Mary was slamming her fists against our door.

I sighed and trudged my way, barefoot, to the door. I jiggled the doorknob. Nothing. "Oh hell no." I kept shaking the doorknob fiercely. "Hell no!" I screamed, pounding on the door in defeat. Only me and my sister were home. My mother was off at her boyfriends' house. "Go play, Mary." I said, sternly.

"But-"

"Go."

She sighed and went into the backyard to probably make a snowman. I rubbed my hands against my arms and sat on the porch. I can't believe I'm locked out in only a t-shirt and shorts in the snow. And who's fault is that? Mary's. If the stupid girl didn't have to wake me up this morning, I wouldn't be stuck here, freezing to death.

I blew my hot breath onto my cold hands in a poor attempt to warm them up. Well, if I was out here, I might as well play with the snow. I've never seen snow before. My family was always somewhere sunny and warm. I picked up a handful of snow and let it drain through my open fingers back to the white ground. I scooped more snow into my hands and packed it into a snowball. I packed it in my hands, letting a tear of anger slip down my cheek. My hands felt warm for a split second. I felt the snow disappear from my hands. I gasped when I opened my eyes to see a puddle of water above where my hands were.