Chapter Seven - The First Murder

Adam's POV:

Everyday after my classes, Océane would give me swimming lessons. We had a lot of fun and we were becoming closer friends. She was an interesting mermaid to say the least. In the time we spent together in my swimming lessons I learned a lot about her and more about the whole other world I had had no idea existed.

"Zombies?" I asked while we took a break on the big rock between the island and the pier. Whenever we took a break I would ask questions about this new world I had been introduced into.

"Children of Death can reanimate corpses for short periods of time," she answered lazily. Her tail was making patterns in the water. Her hands were folded behind her head, and she had her eyes closed.

"Children of Death?"

"They are the children of gods or beings often associated with death. For example Hades," she explained.

"Vampires?"

"Keep to themselves. They're an underground species," she answered.

"Underground species means they don't associate with humans and the regular world, right?"

"Yup," she popped the 'p', "You ready to go back?"

"Not really. This is nice, it's relaxing and as soon as we go back there's going to be homework and people to deal with."

She laughed and opened her eyes, "Amen!" she raised her hand for a high five. As soon as I hit my hand with hers, she clasped mine and dragged me back into the water. We raced back, and I hit the pier first, but I had a very strong feeling she was letting me win, and was just swimming lazily back to the pier. 

She motioned for her towel when she came up from the water and I tossed it to her. I wrapped mine around myself and started walking back to the school, Océane would catch up soon. 

"Hey little bro!" Emma called out when I got back into the school.

"Hey!"

She had been the most welcoming of the small group. Then Océane, but I have a feeling she first started being nice to me because she felt bad about what happened the first day. Kira was bubbly, but at first she ignored me. Felicity was a mini Kira and followed her lead in ignoring me for the first week. Alan was nice, but very introverted, he was slowly opening up though. And then there was Liam. He still wasn't the kindest, but I think I was getting through. He almost smiled at my joke the other day! I call that progress!

After I had taken a shower to get all the lake water off me and finished my homework for the day, I went back down to one of the commons rooms. It was were we all met up at around four thirty.

Alan had his nose stuck in a book, while Emma, Kira, and Felicity were playing a board game in the center of the room. I searched for Océane and found her sitting on Liam's lap. They were whispering and laughing with each other. It seemed private, so I quickly turned away and went to go sit with Emma, Kira, and Felicity.

"Hey. Want to join?" Kira said while gesturing to the board. 

"Monopoly. Hmm... I'd rather not be enemies with you guys," I answered.

"That's probably a good idea," Alan said with his nose stuck in his book.

We had sat there for about two minutes when an alarm suddenly went off. Everyone jumped and cleared the room within seconds. 

"What's going on?" I asked Océane over the loud commotion of the school flooding to the doorms.

"Being a school where kids can easily hurt other kids, we have a very strict no killing policy," she said.