Chapter Six - Adapting to Acacia

Océane's POV:

"What's going on?" I asked as I sat down next to Liam who looked like Christmas had been cancelled for the next two years. Emma and Kira were talking excitedly, and Alan and Felicity were bombarding Adam with question. Overall there was quite a bit of commotion in our small group.

"Haven't you heard?!" Felicity squealed.

"Heard what?" I asked as I sat down next to Liam and started eating my soup.

"Adam's staying, for good," Kira answered.

"Huh?" was all I could manage. Why would Adam be staying? Unless...

"Yeah, apparently he's a speaker," Liam grumbled.

"A speaker?" Adam finally pitched in.

"You can speak with one or more of the original elements," Kira replied with her mouth full.

"Which one?" I asked.

"Wind," Liam grumbled.

I elbowed him, hard, in th gut, "Be nice!" I hissed. Why did he have to be so rude to his little brother?

That was the end of that conversation. We all started talking about new movies and music that had come out. We talked about how the school's queen bee, Elaine, had managed to create a new drama from nothing.

"Océane?" Adam asked after a few moments of silence.

"Yeah?"

"First off, thanks for saving my life. Secondly, what exactly is your gift?"

I grimaced, "Your welcome," I started, "And my 'gift' is a rare one. My mother was a siren or mermaid, hence my tail and nickname. My grandmother from my father's side was a muse of music. In other words, music is my talent, it's my life, my love. But my wonderful mother's genes come and clash with my grandmothers. I can bend people to do my every bidding with only my music," I said while I finished my dinner.

I watched his eyes widen and his body language change to protect himself, and he leaned away a bit.

"I'm not going to do anything to you. Relax!" I said as non-chalantly as I could, but deep down, it hurt... a lot.

"So yesterday, at the island?"

"You took out your ear buds and listened to my music. At the time I was thinking about the freedom of swimming in the vast, never-ending ocean. So you went into the lake," I explained.

He nodded and was lost in thought for a bit, "You said you didn't know how to swim though," he sounded really confused, "But you saved me and you just said how wonderful it is to swim free in the ocean."

I was shaking my head before he even finished, "I said I was never taught how to swim. It was like learning to walk for me."

He nodded and that was the end of our conversation, but he then asked Kira about her gift.

"I'm a seer. I see the future, but only the near future. I can't see past three days,"

"Do you get random flashes of the future like in the movies and books?"

"Nope," she popped the 'p', "I can choose to see the future when I want, but sometime if there is something really big happening, I'll see it without calling on it."

"Cool," he said with a nod of his head, trying to take it in.

"That's not all of it," Alan said.

"It's not?" Adam asked.

"Nope," Kira responded with her mouth full of food, typical Kira, "I can also see alternative futures," she saw Adam's confused look and elaborated on what she had just said, "I can see what would have happened if someone had made a different decision or different outcomes of situations."