I Want It That Way

Hermione let out a deep sigh, relaxing her shoulders after landing on the walkway leading up to her house. The long day was wearing heavily on her, and the only thing she wanted to do right then was take a nice, long bath.

She was not expecting to hear a guitar playing when she opened the door. The sound made her pause and look up to the second floor, where she saw her bedroom door ajar. After taking a few quiet breaths, she silently set her bag down on the floor and took her heels off while drawing her wand. 

As ridiculous as it was to think that someone would break into her house just to ominously play the guitar, she didn't want to take any chances.

Walking up the stairs slowly, she held her wand out in front of her and tried to stay calm as the music grew louder. She thought she recognized the song that was being practiced, but she couldn't quite place it at the moment between all the other thoughts that were racing through her mind. 

She paused just outside of her door and gripped her wand tightly, freezing when she heard a quiet string of cussing.

"Come on, Draco, you can do this..."

Hermione blinked and then peaked around the corner ever so slightly, confirming that it was in fact just Draco sitting on her bed with an acoustic guitar across his lap. She suppressed a giggle and wondered why he was there, but at the same time he was known to show up randomly in the past two years that they had been together. After relaxing finally and smiling to herself, she moved to the doorway and slowly opened the door.

"Draco?" 

He looked up quickly, startled by her sudden appearance. "Hermione! I, uh...I didn't hear you come in!"

She giggled at his flustered expression and leaned against the doorway. "Can't say I knew to make myself heard."

Draco managed to give her a half-grin at that and she finally noticed that her room was filled with unlit candles and flower petals. 

"What's all this?" She asked in surprise, walking to her dresser to pick up one of the candles.

"Well, it's kind of why I was hoping to hear you come in," He answered sheepishly. "I was going to have them all lit by the time you got up here."

"Oh!" She set the candle back down and gave him a smile. "Should I try again? I can give you the best surprised look I've got!"

He laughed at that and said, "No, it's alright! I think you'll still like it anyway."

He led her over to the bed and sat her down with a smile. "Stay right here."

She smiled and watched as he went to turn the lights off before lighting the candles with a sweeping wave of his hand. The dim glow gave the room a romantic feel that made her smile, and her smile only widened by him picking the guitar up again.

"When did you learn this?" She gestured between him and the guitar while laughing slightly.

He grinned and shrugged. "I've actually been learning for a few years, since we left Hogwarts. I always liked the sound of a guitar."

"Are you going to sing to me?" She asked with a giggle.

"No, I thought I would just provide background music to our conversation finally," He said snarkily, prompting her to laugh.

They quieted down and he focused on the tuning for a moment before finding the right chords. She smiled and pulled her legs up to cross them on the bed, watching him happily. He had never sung to her before, and she couldn't wait to hear what he had planned out.

He began playing the song, the same song that she thought she recognized. She was starting to drive herself crazy trying to figure it out, but after a few measures he began to sing.

"You are..."

She gasped and hid a laugh behind her hand, seeing him grin at her.

"...My fiiiiiire, the one...desiiiiiire," He sang, trying and failing to keep a straight face. "Believe...when IIIIIII say...IIIIII waaaaaant it thaaaaaat way. But we..."

She couldn't hold back her grin then and quietly began mouthing the words along with him.

"Are twoooo worlds apaaart..." 

The two of them smiled and laughed as they continued singing the song, laughing through the lyrics every now and then. But Hermione noticed that his expression steadily grew more serious as the song neared the end.

"I never want to hear you saaaay...IIII waaaant it thaaaat way, 'cause I..." He stopped playing the guitar and pulled something out of his pocket. "...want it this way."

She stared wide-eyed at the ring in his hand, her jaw dropping in shock. Her mouth dropped further when he set the guitar on the bed next to her and slowly dropped down onto one knee, taking one of her hands and smiling at her.

"Do you?" He asked, searching her face expectantly for an answer.

The tears began to well up in her eyes as she smiled then. She nodded enthusiastically as she was unable to form words and quickly wrapped her arms around his neck, laughing through her happy tears.

He laughed as he caught her and held her tightly, grinning into her shoulder. She pulled away after a few minutes, laughing as he tried to slide the ring onto her trembling hand.

"I was not expecting this at all!" She said through a laugh, wiping away a few tears.

"That's kind of the point of a surprise," He laughed. "I'm just happy you said yes!"

"Of course I was going to say yes, you prat!" She smacked him lightly on the shoulder before looking at the ring happily. "How long have you had this planned?"

"An embarrassingly long time that I don't want to admit to," He grinned.

The two of them laughed at that and she fell into his arms again, happily staring at the ring on her finger.

A/N: Okay I'm not going to lie, I'm an N'SYNC girl but dammit the Backstreet Boys are so appealing to my 90's inner child. And yes, I included the song for self-indulgent reasons, don't judge me lol. I'm not sure how I got the idea for this one but I thought it was adorable and had to make it so. I also feel really bad about not giving you guys any new material this week so I wanted to give you something before I leave for the weekend, but I will be back on Monday and my updating schedule with the other three stories will resume! Hope you all enjoy this, it was pretty cute to write in my opinion :) love you all! <3