Battle

Curses flew back and forth from both sides, mostly blue and red lights that would hit either the wall or a temporary shield she would put up. But the rare green bursts were the ones that sent shivers down her spine, and she made sure those never got past.

Hermione gathered her thoughts and sent off a few more curses in retaliation for the few that came her way. Harry and Ron were nowhere to be found; Ron had run off after they returned from the Chamber of Secrets, their previous interaction completely forgotten in the chaos. Hermione had managed to be separated from them as she went to try and protect escaping students, and now she was wondering just how she was going to get through this.

She turned around so that her stomach was almost up against the wall and she was facing the Death Eaters, firing off curses. This position allowed her easier access to defend anyone who was running past her, and also allowed her to get a better firing position.

"Hermione!"

She turned to see Draco Malfoy racing towards her from her left, but her momentary lapse in concentration caused a curse to hit her exposed right side and she fell backwards. She hit the ground with a grunt and cringed as the pain wracked her body.

Arms immediately grabbed her and pulled her away, and she was being carried down a hallway away from the explosions. She was surprised to find Draco was the one who grabbed her, pulling her into an empty classroom and out of harm's way. He quickly shut the door and locked it before setting her gently against a wall and kneeling down next to her.

She opened her mouth to say something but he immediately clapped a hand firmly over her mouth and put a long finger over his lips in a motion to silence her. She breathed heavily but silently as she heard the sound of steps racing past the classroom door, squeezing her eyes shut in fear. The footsteps faded away though and he slowly moved his hand away from her mouth after a few moments of silence.

"What in Merlin's name did you think you were doing?" He hissed, pulling her sweater off her shoulders and untucking her shirt to look at the fresh wound on her side.

"The students..." She choked out. "There were still some in the hallway..."

"So what, you sacrifice yourself to get them out?" He asked, almost accusingly. He pulled his wand out of his pocket and pointed it towards her side. "Episkey!"

She cringed again as the spell hit her, but it didn't bring any sort of relief as it normally would. She heard him curse under his breath and she looked down at the wound. It looked more like a burn, her skin a fiery red color with small blackened patches. She could feel her pulse beating hard in this wound, and it was slowly spreading across her skin.

"You need to get out of here," He said quietly, looking at her wound. 

She stared at him in shock. "What?"

His eyes met her and he repeated himself. "You are getting out of here. Even if I have to drag you out."

Her stare turned into a scowl as she pulled her shirt back down and tried to stand up. "There is absolutely no way that I'm-"

A sudden wave of pain wracked her body as she stood up and he caught her just in time before she hit the ground, making sure his arms didn't graze her wound.

"Hermione, you are hurt bad," He said in an exasperated tone. "You aren't going to be of any help out there, not like this."

"Watch me."

She glared at him, not even taking notice that she was still being held against him. But another wave of pain rolled through her and her knees nearly gave out. Draco gently set her on the ground, pulling her shirt back up to see the red, angry wound spreading further.