The Concert

We arrived at the concert late and missed the opening act. There were a lot of teenage girls there. More teenage girls than I’ve ever seen in one place. And to Sue’s credit, there were also a lot of dads there with them.

Sue pushed past me to find our seats and ordered me to go to the seat furthest from the aisle. Apparently she had seen something that sparked her interest. She made Len go in next and she sat the farthest from the target. The target was just as she predicted, middle aged, fit, and judging by the lack of rings on fingers, single. He had salt and pepper hair and a pair of stylish thick-rimmed glasses. Next to him were two very excited teenage girls singing along to “Live While We’re Young” - at least while they weren’t taking breaks to look at each other and scream.

Target took one look at my short hair, piercings, age and lack of accompanying teenagers and did a double take. Then remembering his manners, gave me a nod and said “Cheers.”

“Hi!” I said. So high pitched and excitedly, I may have made him think I was a teenager after all.

“I’m Cat! Is this your favourite band?” I asked smiling.

“Haha, of course! That Harry Styles is so dreamy. I’m Will. Nice to meet you. And this is my daughter Jennifer and her friend Karen.”

The girls next to him barely noticed the exchange, they just kept belting out “Let's go crazy, crazy, crazy 'till we see the sun! I know we only met but let's pretend it's love.”

“They’re fantastic singers!” I said, staring into his deep blue eyes. He really was incredibly hot.

“Hi! I’m Len!” Len said, extending a hand to Will. Earning him an elbow to the ribs from Sue.

“Ow! What did you do that for?”

I didn’t hear Sue’s response but judging by how much Len was sulking, it wasn’t nice.

When I looked back at Will his eyes were squarely riveted to my chest. Oh, it was on.

“I’m going to get a drink, want to come with?” I asked.

“I’d love to. But I should really stay with the girls.”

“Oh Dad, I’d love a Coke! My throat is so dry! We’re 14, not babies! We can stay here without you!” Jennifer said.

“Ok, I’ll be right back, don’t go anywhere!”

We continued our conversation in the concession line.

“It’s really nice of you to take your daughter and her friend to the concert. Or did you draw straws with your wife and lose?”

“Oh, we’re divorced. But thanks. I’d do anything for that girl.”

“Your ex-wife?” I asked with a grin.

“Haha, no Jennifer. What about you? You don’t seem like you would be a 1D fan.”

“Oh I’m just here to hit on the dads.” I said with a sly smile. “This queue is so long, want to find a shorter one?”

“Sure.”

We started walking to the next concessions when I spotted what looked like a utility closet with the door slightly ajar.

“I have a better idea.” I said and pulled him into the closet.

“Cat! You’re crazy!”

“Shut up and kiss me!” I said and grabbed his shirt and pulled him to me. I kissed him like I hadn’t been kissed in a year – because I hadn’t. I don’t know what it was, but I wanted him, and I was going to have him right then and there next to the mops and brooms!