Chapter 6

We made our way through connection cave, battling many strong trainers. I snuck around each trainer I saw, not wanting to battle anybody just yet.

"Nikki, look! The exit.." Calem pulled his bag over his shoulder, which contained a few pokemon he'd caught, such as Axew and Geodude. I had caught a Meditite, and it was really strong. I grinned and chased after Calem.

We both squinted as we exited from the bright sun. "Oh gosh.. It hurts.." I giggle, but didn't receive any response from Calem.. Except for a glance. I sighed. 'Does he just not care much anymore?.. He seems to feel mixed ways for me...' I thought and rubbed my arm. "C'mon, the gym should be right ahead." He gestured to me and we quickly dashed down the road.

"Welcome to Cyllage City, a city of rock hard competitors.. And.. Bike races?" I read the sign, slightly confused. "Well.. I guess a rock gym leader has to have some sort of hobby.." Calem replied, with a shrug. We healed up our pokemon at the pokemon center, and bought come potions. Finally, we were ready.

Well, Calem was.

Stepping into the gym, I gasped at what.. And who, I say. The walls of the gym were climbing walls, all around the field. And the battle field was tall rocks, with some small caves. "Whoa, cool.." Calem stared. "Hello!" A voice chimed from above. We looked up to see a man upside down on the roof, climbing casually. "I'm guessing your here to battle the gym leader." He flipped and landed in front of us, rising tall.

"The name's Grant, I'm the Cyllage Town Gym Leader." He grinned. Calem and I stared for a while. ".. Pleasure to meet you.." I realized I was staring and blushed a bit, rubbing my neck. "S-Sorry! I was just amazed by your climbing skills I kinda zoned out!" I earned a chuckle from him. Calem folded his arms and seemed bitter. ".. Anyways, we'd like to battle you." He spoke up. Grant nodded. "Of course!.. But if you don't mind.. Could I have the pleasure of battling this young lady first?"

Calem seemed uncertain. "Um.." He looked at me and sighed, forcing a smile. "Of course! I don't mind at all.." He soon muttered the last part. Grant grinned and led us to the field. Calem sat in the stands, looking pissed off. "The battle between Grant and Nikki will now begin! Each trainer with use two pokemon! And the battle will be over when all the pokemon on either side are unable to battle! Let's go!" The ref hollered.

"Go, Rock the party, Tyrunt!" Grant hollered. "Fennekin! Let's win this!" I cheered, as our pokeballs released our pokemon. I flung out the pokedex.

"Tyrunt.. A rock/dragon type... This may be trouble.." I bit my lip. Grant smiled at me and nodded, allowing me to go first. "Uh.. Fennekin! Use Ember!" I shouted. Fennekin spun and flared the embers at the Dino pokemon. It surprisingly took a lot of damage. "Bite it!" Grant commanded. Tyrunt flew at Fennekin and bit it, taking some HP.

"Ah!.. Fennekin! Fire spin, Followed by Tackle!" I yelped, as she obeyed. I gasped as Tyrunt was taken down by the next blow. Grant seemed surprised too, but returned Tyrunt graciously. Calem stared, seeming shocked of my accomplishment.

"Amura.. Finish the job." Grant flicked his Amura out, and I looked it up in the pokedex. "Ice and rock type? This one will be a breeze!" I felt my confidence boost, and Fennekin's too. Grant smirked, as if we expected me to say such a thing. "Speaking of which.. Use Icy Wind!"

Fennekin attempted to dodge, but ended up having it's paws stuck to the ground. It struggled to get out, but it was frozen. "Fennekin! Oh no.." I gulped as Grant hollered out the next attack. "Ancient Power!"

Rocks flew from the ground, and were sent flying at my fire fox. Fennekin yelped and was struck hard by the rocks. I returned my fainted pokemon and gripped the pokeball. "It's not over yet.. Go, Meditite!" I tossed the pokeball.

Meditite emerged powerfully, and let out a cry. Grant closed his eyes. "Now.. Icy wind it.. And don't stop." He commanded. Calem leaned forward in his seat and gulped. A huge wave of ice flowed into Meditite, but it struggled to stay up. "Use drain punch!" I begged. It went and struck, but soon was slammed into the wall by Amura's tail.

Before I knew it..

I'd lost.

I ran to Medidite and returned it. "Thank you." I whispered to it, rising and noticing Grant looking at me, in between smirking and concerned. "... Thank you for battling me.." I turned and left, as I felt a tear drop from my cheek and then land on the gym floor. I heard Calem call out to me, but I ignored him and went to sit by the beach.

---

I sat on some rocks at the beachside, watching Azurill and Meditite dance around in the water, which was painted colours of the sunset. I had my knees close to my chest and sighed. "I don't think battling is for me.." I told Fennekin, who was in its pokeball. "You shouldn't give up just after one loss." A voice spoke softly. I turned and saw Calem there, his hands in his jacket pockets.

"Did.. You beat Grant?" I asked quietly. He nodded, and that made me feel worse. "Look, the only reason I won was from strategy. I planned out my team before hand, and by observing YOUR battle, I knew what to expect." Calem explained, sitting next to me. "I just don't understand how Fennekin, who's weak against rock, could beat Tyrunt.. But couldn't beat a duel type like Amura.." I rested my head on my knees and Calem sighed. "It's cause you got cocky, and he took advantage. Once you think something is easy.. It makes it easier for your opponent to get a powerful strike at you."

I closed my eyes and sighed quietly. "I'm sorry if I let you down..." Calem looked at my confused. "Let me down?.."

"We've dreamed of this journey our entire lives.. And you were always depending on me to be a great trainer so we could battle side by side..." I explained, watching the sunset slowly. ".. I was depending on you to be the best trainer you could be, for your benefit; and nothing more." Calem's expression softened as he spoke. "Look.. You don't have to battle gyms to get my approval. I just want you to be happy with your pokemon... And if you chose to battle Grant again.. I want help to train you." Calem smiled at me, and I nodded. "I'd like that.. Thanks." I smiled and felt my cheeks turn a bit red as he stared at me. The sunset colours hid my blush though. Calem looked as if he wanted to say something important.. But..

"HEY GUYS!!"

I face palmed. "Shauna!.. Really?!" I hissed, annoyed. "What? What did I do?" She asked confused as she ran up to us. ".. Uh.." I blinked. "You.. Were loud.. And it hurt my ears.. Oww..." I faked, and Calem snickered, playing along. "Oh yeah.. It hurts.." He smirked. Shauna pouted. "Wh-Whatever! I just wanted to tell you that we'll be staying in the pokemon center." And she stormed off.

I giggled and grabbed my bag, returning my pokemon. "So.. Can you help me train after lunch tomorrow?" I asked quietly. Calem nodded, his expression returning to his stern state. "Of course, I'll see you there." I frowned. "I don't like this side of you.." I said quietly. Calem looked surprised and confused. "H-Huh?" I sighed. "Your really.. Rough, like this.. Whatever. I'll see you tomorrow.." I walked to the center, leaving Calem alone.

Will he ever be the old Calem I used to love?