A gentle breeze blew across your face. It cooled down your sweaty skin. You looked over to Herobrine. His was breathing slightly heavier and his skin was still pale. You looked down at his leg and saw the huge bloodstain on his pants.

You reached over and rolled up the cuff of his pants. The cut was large, but it wasn't actively bleeding. It went from his ankle and stopped just short of his knee. You winced as you saw it.

"Is it bad?"

Herobrine sounded worried. You rolled his pants back down and leaned back on the tree.

"It's not bleeding anymore, but it looks pretty angry."

Herobrine sighed in relief as you told him. You heard birds chirp as you both rested. It seemed so odd that you were both in danger and the birds still sang. You sighed and closed your eyes.

'Should I ask?'

The thought opened your eyes. Ask about what? Herobrine's comment to the angel? Why the angel was after Herobrine? Why the angel stopped trying to kill you?

You took a deep breath. You didn't want to wait until you reached the den for your questions to be answered. You looked over to Herobrine. He was staring into space, breathing a bit more gently than before.

"Hey, Herobrine?"

He looked over to you as you spoke. Silence passed over you as he waited.

"Can I ask you something? Or a bunch of things?"

Herobrine nodded and you sighed. You collected your thoughts as you decided what to ask.

"First of all, what did the angel want from you? I mean, I know it was trying to get you to follow it, but...why?"

Herobrine sighed as you finished. He readjusted himself and cleared his throat.

"The angel was...trying to get me back to the Aether so I could be, uh...'completed'."

As he spoke, he used air quotes.

"It's kind of...complicated, I guess...the best way to explain it is that I am...a kind of uncompleted project?"

Your eyebrows raised as he spoke. Herobrine continued.

"I was built by The God of Creation. Most things are. I don't know the specifics, but I do know that I didn't like where I was. So I left. The thing is, I didn't know what to do with myself...I still don't know what I was made for..."

He looked to the ground.

"I mean, this place is nice. I started exploring and I really enjoyed being around stuff like plants and animals...I didn't really know why I was made and at this point I don't care to know. In fact, I got kind of scared when...when the Catalyst mentioned the Aether."

Herobrine sighed. He looked back to you. You felt uncomfortable with his gaze and looked away.

"Alright, well, why did the angel stop trying to kill me?"

As you asked your question, Herobrine raised an eyebrow. His face fell into confusion.

"What do you mean? It stopped trying to kill you because you're Spawn. I figured that, since the angel came from the Aether, it might not want to kill The God of Creation's work."

You blinked in confusion.

"No, dude, I'm not a Spawn. Not even close. That's what I mean. I get it if you lied to save me and I super appreciate that, but it just didn't sit with me well."

Herobrine's face scrunched. He looked at you strangely. You figured you might've given him an equally strange look as well. And awkward silence fell over you two until Herobrine spoke.