| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

{ ᴏɴᴇ ᴅᴀʏ }

| Lily |

"Anne," I say softly, grabbing hold of my friend's hand, "I can't stay here anymore." A face of confusion stares back at me, I know she'll want me to stay. I've been at Green Gables for quite some time. Christmas is approaching fast, and money is tight for the Cuthberts. I'm just another mouth to feed, who has nowhere to go, who they feel they have to take in.

"Nonsense," she comforts, "there's no problem with you being here. We welcome you." A small sigh leaves my lips upon hearing her words. She doesn't understand.

"I can't be a burden on your family anymore, not with everything that's happened," I tell her, watching her eyes darken in remembrance of Matthew's heart attack and their current financial situation, "I'm old enough now to go out on my own, I can get a job in Charlottetown and make a living, until I find someone to marry and—"

"What?!" She interrupts, shock lacing her outburst, "why do that when you can stay here? You can finish school everything will be—"

"Gilbert did it," I cut her off, head hanging low just upon thinking of him. Anne goes silent and stands up from her bed.

"You belong here Lily," she says motioning dramatically around the room. She grabs my hands once more and proceeds to dance with me around her room. I laugh lightly at her foolishness, but then again, that was just Anne.

"And just you wait," she stops, facing me as we sway in the sunlight of her room, her imagination clearly displayed in the various colors in her eyes, "until the day Gilbert comes back to swoop you off your feet and carry you out of here to live the most romantical life." I stop swaying, looking at her seriously.

"That's not going to happen, Anne," I tell her, "he— it just isn't like that. Okay? Gilbert is gone." I fought an uphill battle against the tears that effortlessly began to form in my eyes. Will he ever come back?

"Two souls don't just happen upon each by accident like that," she twirled me around in an attempt to lift my spirits, but then she stops once again, "will you ever tell me, what really happened at the funeral." I can tell she notices me immediately tense up at the mention of the awful event.

"One day Anne," I promise her, meeting her eyes, "one day."

"When's the last time you drove a sleigh?" Jerry questioned Anne, silencing her protests of him accompanying her to Charlottetown, "Auction a horse?" I can feel the tension between the two rising as I stood by them, freezing in my coat and hat.

"Let's go," he said, and they were quiet for a moment more. They would be venturing into Charlottetown today to sell our things to the pawnshop and auction off the horse. It wasn't the most thrilling journey as the motives were bleak, but it was an adventure, nonetheless. I had personally donated some things as well, anything that reminded me of my parent's really. Just the mere thought of them made my skin crawl in agony.