Thrill Of The Hunt

CAIRO

                 I don't realize that she's human until I see the fragile tremble of her breath.

               When I had first seen her staring at me covered in the shade of the trees, I had assumed that it was a warrior from back at the camp. I hadn't taken note of what she was wearing, I had just seen the want in her eyes and that was enough to trigger my irrational animalistic side. It hadn't mattered to me that she had the most beautiful face I had seen so far, or the way she'd turned from me and seemed so disappointed in herself.

               What mattered was that she had disturbed my peace, and no one in the camp had a right to that. Not even the war chief.

              Although, throughout my irritation— I hesitated. The way her hazel eyes gazed up at me like a doe who was hoping to stumble through a freshly green meadow, it stunned me. Instead, she had stumbled through a field of weeds and into my grasp. My claws itched to come out and sink themselves into her hips, the bloodlust strong. But I hadn't actually wanted to hurt her. I suppose that's why I hesitated and instead decided that throwing her into the river was enough.

            I was stalling.

         I hadn't actually pictured myself as the forgiving type, I was ruthless— irrational. But the way her glossy eyes had seemed so sad, and her cheeks had no color; the animal in me had stalled, not wanting to add to her hurting.

The water splashes as she's engulfed in the stream, and I see the bubbles of her scream float up. A minute later, her body rushes to the surface, and her lungs gulp in breaths of air. Her wet golden locks cling to her face and waist, although her hair is still in the restricting ponytail. I let my mind wander, just for a second, and wonder what she'd look like with her hair free. Her eyes dart around, searching for me with her accusatory stare. For a moment, I find myself temporarily amused— but then that moment is gone when I realize what I'm feeling.

The shirt she's wearing clings to her body, dusky rose nipples visible through the wet fabric. I feel distracted, and a tightening sensation in my throat as I look at her— wet and angry like a queen rising to avenge herself. She lets out a scream, eyes narrowing in my direction as her frustration overcomes her.

"You psychopath!" She yells, and does the only thing she can think of.

She splashes me with cold water.

           It didn't have much effect on me, as I had already been soaked from swimming in the river. Although, I had felt the challenge of her risky glare and the length she went just to make the water reach me. It was enough for my wolf to want to come out and play— but instead, I just gave a cold grin, knowing what was to come.

                 "I wouldn't do that if I were you, little lamb." I warn her as her hand raises to splash me again. I see her eyes flicker at how far the shore behind her is, as if she'd be able to outrun me.

                 "You come near me again, and my husband will kick you in the nuts." She says with a wolffish smirk, and then without any other words, her hand splatters down; effectively coating me with more icy water. As a growl rips out of my chest, she turns around and paddles her way to the other end of the stream. She reaches the dirt and lifts herself up, immediately running once her feet touch the ground.

My eyes clasp shut as the frustration takes over me, and I wonder how a human even entered this dimension in the first place. She's just going to bring trouble into this territory, and I didn't have time for trouble. I feel my palms turn rough, into the padding of an alpha male. My nose wrinkles into a snarl as I feel myself shift into my true form.

I knew they would have to get rid of her, I'd have to bring her to the camp. If I let her go, then it would be my fault if she brought trouble here. This is not what I came here to do.

My black claws elongate and my tail structures out, icy rage taking over my body. The territorial rage that I'd always felt over this land— over my birthright.
My grey fur claws its way to the surface of my skin, knowing that I couldn't control the thrill that I get from a good chase.

This is just for me to catch her and bring her to the camp, not to kill. I try to remind myself before my thoughts get hazy and jumbled with those of a vicious wolf. I knew that I'd not be able to think of who she was, or what she was. I'd just be able to see the fact that she was running on my land, and the run was the best thrill that I could get.

As my ears tune into the forest, finishing the transition with my senses growing stronger; I can hear the gentle thump of her feet running. Her breath filtered between gasps of air and then shuddering. She felt the fear of running from a stranger.

She hadn't even seen what would be chasing her, and somehow, that's what disappointed me the most. I wouldn't be able to see the fear in her eyes the moment she'd see me chasing her, catching up. I'd only see the hazy mind of a wolf, and what wolffish things I wanted to do to her.

             I move in silence, the crunch of the leaves is the only sound of my paws rushing to catch my prey. My heart thumps in brutal quick palpitations as I realize that the prize is much greater than the chase, and it'd be a hell of a lot harder to stop myself from sinking my teeth into her flesh. Dodging trees and boulders, as I weave my way through the woods, my only thought is her.

          A flurry of blonde hair catches my attention as I see her running in the opposite direction of my war camp. I hadn't even needed to catch a scent in order to find her, she was lucky it was me and not another wolf. They wouldn't be quite so merciful on a human like her. I could just imagine what wicked things they'd do to her mind and body, what tricks they would play to get her to go crazy. Crazy with delirium, fear, and lust.

              I feel a little guilt at what thrill I feel, chasing her honeyed scent, and hearing the guttural whimper that leaves her pink lips as she looks back and sees me chasing instead.

         With a crash, I realize that I'm still conscious in animalistic side of me— I hadn't gone completely hazy like I usually do when I allow my true form to take over. I was thinking clearly, following the pure desire of what my raw wolf had wanted. I was able to control that part of me that was uncontrollable— and the confusion that came with it all.

But a specific side of me knows that I cannot let the confusion stop me from what I wanted, from what we wanted to do. My beastly side was me, and I was it. We are one in the same, and I'd known that being conscious wouldn't have stopped me from acting in my cruel nature.

As I reach her small body, shaking as she tried not to falter in her steps, I strike.

The mischievous gleam is unmistakable in my eyes as she screams in pure terror.

I do what I imagine any other wolf would do in this moment, with someone so intoxicating as her.

I open my jaws, and sink my teeth into her soft flesh; knowing that I wouldn't miss.