IX. You Tell Me

"What do you mean?" Tone drastically changed Will dropped the whole façade.

He didn't mean to hurt George with his antics, he didn't even consider that the dirty blonde cared when he acted out like this. Surely, he was used to this type of behavior, hell George even blew things out of proportion himself more often than not so what was this all about?

"Nothing, it's just - life doesn't work like that." The younger told him, eyes far away from Will in search of anything that would occupy his brain.

Anything but light brown locks, a chiselled jawline and bright eyes with a rascally tingle in them.

He wasn't mad at him. If anything, he was mad at himself.

Oh look a German Shepherd, how cute. He noted, urge to bolt over to the dog and pet it was stronger than normal. That would've been a great escape route in his mind. However, a different part of his brain had to ruin the moment. Will had a soft spot for that specific breed didn't he?

Fuck.

No matter what he did, the boy beside him couldn't escape George's thoughts. Will's arm up against his didn't help either, the twenty-one-year-old had no idea why he anticipated otherwise. Will plagued his whole mind, that four letter nickname tattooed in there and it didn't plan on leaving anytime soon.

Lovely.

"George?" Mentioned green irises reflected worry, focus entirely on the dirty blonde, tone soft. "I'm sorry, I wasn't actually gonna make a rushed decision like that."

George checked his phone for the umpteenth time as they stood outside the shopping centre with nothing else on his mind just the thought of going home and locking his bedroom door. He said too much so he wanted to disappear. Simple as that.

"It's not about that- Just forget I said anything." The blue-eyed boy cut himself off when their Uber pulled up, trotting towards the vehicle in a heartbeat.

It's not like he was going to explain himself anyway.

He could feel Will's eyes on the back of his head, the brunette watched his friend get all closed off and defensive. George was hiding something and the taller man had no intention of letting him off the hook. Not this time. Not completely at least.

~
The ride back home was silent and so was the one in the lift. Will knew better than to bother George. He allowed him to contemplate, the dirty blonde was zoned out throughout the whole trip, eyebrows knitted together every now and again.

George looked troubled, on the verge of a nervous breakdown and Will could feel its presence lurking. Like the waves licking the rocks on a beach before a storm. First quiet, then wild and deadly.

He just wished he could forestall the crash and destruction.

Will kept to himself, thinking it was the best to leave him alone until George almost slammed his bedroom door in his face. That's when the brunette was done with temporization.

"George, wait."

Will managed to prevent the collision with the door by sticking his hand out. His steps held determination as he strutted after his room-mate, who did nothing to get rid of the elder in the meantime, - there was no point to be fair to him- and landed next to him on the edge of his bed.

"What?" George met his eyes briefly then pulled his legs up to his chest, expression unreadable.

Will tracked the movement with his gaze, fingers smoothing out the blanket beneath him absentmindedly.  He caused this so he wasn't walking away without an attempt to fix it.