VI. The Sound of His Fear

When they got home the whole apartment complex reminded them of an abandoned building. Instead of an always highly lit tower like structure it just looked sad and entirely vacant in the yet again pouring rain. Only the lobby had some lights that were powered by solar panels but other than that it looked like as if nobody lived in it.

Without power the elevator didn't work either so the duo had to climb the stairs for once. George held onto Will's hand so the taller man could lead the way with his phone's flashlight due to it being on a higher battery percentage than his own.

"Stop sprinting." George warned his friend, voice low so they wouldn't disturb the other tenants.

"Am not. You're just slow." Will mumbled and pulled George up the last flight of stairs.

In reality, whenever the brunette took a step George needed to take two to keep up with him. His legs weren't mile long in his defense, Will just couldn't comprehend such a concept.

"Shut up." The dirty blonde mumbled with a small shove at Will's back.

He involuntarily helped the other man reach their door faster with a small stumble and a chuckle. Will let go of his hand in search of his keys whilst shaking his head at his room-mate's antics with a shit eating grin. George was going to pay (side note this got auto-corrected to 'lay' and I snorted when I proof read this shiz) for that one - pushing around in the dark, not cool.

They entered the silent flat George strictly on Will's tail so he wouldn't bump into anything along the way. It was the younger's turn to find a lighter and candles in which he just about succeeded apart from the latter. The two ran out of tealights - they'd only had a few even before the power cut so no surprise there- so they were stuck in the dead middle of the apartment dumbfounded for a few seconds. George sat on the floor still where he originally searched for a light source underneath the kitchen sink as Will stood in front of him the side of his upper body against the counter.

"Uh, I have a cool lamp somewhere with hopefully working batteries in it. And some Yankee Candles, originally for decorating purposes but we can totally use them since it's an emergency anyways."

Will shared his sudden rediscovery, the thought of mentioned object literally popped into his head out of the blue. And as for the Yankee products - well, he'd buy new ones to be in the background of his videos.

"That's coo-" George drew his legs closer to his body, teeth clamped together, mouth shutting mid-sentence he ducked his head when a loud boom was heard from outside.

Will's phone laid with its screen down on the kitchen table a water bottle atop the flashlight so the light would spread and illuminate the space more evenly. George could see less of the cupboards but this way neither of the boys were entirely blind in this situation. And also the repetitive lightning helped to see as well.

The thunder, though, that wasn't the best. Not for George who had hated the clash or bowling match of the Gods, as some referred to the occurrence.

Will was very well aware of that hence why he waited until the storm retreated a little to take him out of the apartment. George once told him when they accidentally crossed paths in the middle of the night, both lingering around the living-room.

-
"So why are you still up?" The shorter of the duo asked with a mug of hot chocolate in one hand, the other deep down in his hoodie pocket, ripping a tissue into pieces absentmindedly.

Will met his gaze, own eyes tired and a little sorrowful. "Couldn't sleep."

George nodded, the exhausted tone noted without a comment aloud.