Chapter 5: The Hunt

Haylee's POV.

"How about a hunt, my lady," Caden bowed, extending his arm, palm up.

"Why would you want to do, Alpha?"

"To welcome you into my pack, of course. Why else?"

"I don't trust you, tough guy. How do I know that's what you really want to do?"

"Just trust me, dearie."

"Back off, Caden," Noah snarled, dragging me to him by my waist.

"Calm down, you crazy, little brother of mine. I wasn't going to do anything to her," Caden chuckled.

"Now I'm the one not believing you, big brother," Noah replied.

I broke free, running off into the trees before pausing. I smirked over my shoulder, taunting them. Alphas can be huge softies if you know which ones to talk to. Not all are that way.

I shifted in front of them. My wolf shook out her fur, and howled at the sky above. I missed running. It's my favorite thing about being a wolf. Especially the freedom.

The men snarled, disapproving of my behavior. My wolf just yipped playfully, racing off. Paws pounding against the ground, telling me they were following.

I jumped over the logs in my way. I've never led a hunt before. I only followed the Alpha. But being here, racing with Alphas through the green scenery, I felt alive. I felt like I was born to do this. Like I was born to lead. Thinking about it, I actually wouldn't be that bad of a leader.

Would I?

The Alphas, Beta, and Third in Commands caught up with me. They allowed me to stay in the lead, and I felt a little powerful in the moment. Caden threw his head back in a howl, and Noah joined in. I barked happily along with everyone else.

This is what I love.

These are who I feel alive with.

I pushed myself to go faster and faster. I released a howl of my own. The boys seemed satisfied enough with that. We came to a halt at a river. I leaped to the other side. I dipped my head for a drink, savoring the coldness against my parched throat.

What I wouldn't give for everyday to be like this...

"Where'd you learn to run like that, Señorita?" Drake asked me.

"Years of practice," I said vaguely.

"Care to clarify?" Caden questioned.

"Nah." He growled in annoyance. "But, if you insist." I pulled my head away from the river and sat on my hind legs. "I was in track and cross country for eight years staright. Along with soccer and volleyball."

"Whew. No wonder you got a good body shape," Noah said smugly. He probably would've whistled if he was in human form.

"Yeah. Nothing major," I said dismissively.

"Damn, kid. You're one heck of a girl. You'll sure make a man a very proud mate one day," Caden commented. I gave him a wolf glare.

"As you said. I'm a kid." I looked away from them. "I won't meet my mate for a while. And don't get your hopes up just yet."

"Aww...boo," they chorused. I huffed, standing up, shaking out my fur, and walked away.

A/N: Dear, Readers,
There is another chapter after this that will continue the hunt. You finally got to know a little more of how Haylee feels and a bit of what she does for a living and a little of her back story. Thanks for reading!

~Miss_Durst