Childhood Lovers. 18

The next morning, I felt Chase begin to stir.

“Good morning,” Chase whispered, kissing my ear. I moaned, not willing to get up, let alone open my eyes. I felt him remove his arm from my waist and sit up. “Go back to sleep.”

Forcing my eyes open, I held his arm tightly. “Please, stay.”

“How can I say no to you?” Chase said, resuming his position. He pulled me up, so that my head rested on his bare chest. He stroked my hair, trying to soothe me back to sleep.

But knowing he was awake, waiting on me, made it nearly impossible to return to my deep sleep. So, I enjoyed the cuddling for a little bit longer, before getting up.

“I’ll go start breakfast,” Chase said, leaving me to my thoughts.

Last night seemed surreal. It was magical, passionate, and memorable. I had lost my virginity to Chase, the guy I loved, and nothing was more powerful than that. And I knew that it was a little early . . . after all, he had just re-earned my trust the other day. But trust isn’t measured in time – hours, days, weeks, months, years – it is measured in emotions and value.

I threw something on to cover myself, then headed into the kitchen, where Chase was cooking breakfast.

“A man in the kitchen,” I said, as I entered. “What a pleasant twist to the stereotype.”

Chase looked up at me and laughed. “A woman dressed only in a man’s button down. What a delightful cliché.”

“Touché.”

Chase flipped two blueberry pancakes onto a clean plate, and handed it to me. Eagerly, I took a greedy bite. Buttery goodness and blueberry flavor wooed my taste buds.

“Mmmm, you put the Iron Chefs to shame,” I said. Chase smiled, as he wiped the corner of my mouth with a napkin. Blushing, I scarfed the pancakes down.

“So I have the day off, what should we do?” Chase said, pulling my waist closer to his.

“Something different,” I said, looking up at him hopefully. “You know this place better than I do, you choose.”

“I think I might have an idea,” Chase said, mysteriously. “Actually, go get ready now. We’re leaving in half an hour.”

“So spontaneous,” I said. “I dig it.”

I hurried off to the bathroom and took a quick shower. When I crossed into my bedroom, I noticed Chase was still in the kitchen, cooking God knows what.

“What should I wear?” I called down the hallway.

“Anything but formal!” Chase called back.

Well, that didn’t help much. I settled on a jewel-toned tank top, a bold beaded necklace, white jean shorts, and silver gladiator sandals. I braided my wet hair and put on minimal makeup.

By the time I was ready, Chase had already cooked, packed the car, and managed to get dressed. It’s remarkable how much time girls spend getting ready compared to guys.

“Now, there are a few rules. No questions, no comments, no concerns,” Chase said, listing it off.

“Aw man, that means I cant speak!”

“I know, that’s the point. Silence is golden,” Chase said. “Don’t worry, I have to follow the rules too. We both have to take the silence of the experience. It makes it more meaningful.”

“Whatever you say,” I shrugged. Ever since we were kids, Chase made up silly rules to the games we invented, thinking each rule had a specific purpose to exemplify the game experience.

Slipping on my sunglasses, I followed Chase to the car. He had put the Jeep Wrangler’s top down, giving the car that convertible feel. As he speeded on the roads, the wind brushed against my face and hair. I closed my eyes, and savored the liberating yet relaxing experience.

Chase kept driving, driving, driving into the middle of nowhere. Eventually, he parked the car at a curb in the road, next to a large forest. Chase removed a picnic basket and blanket from the trunk of the car, and led me down a dirt path. Large, tangled, overcrowded trees surrounded us, casting peculiar shadows. The ground was soft and tamed by the wildlife, big boulders were covered with lush moss, and the trees were decked with large, hunter-green leaves. Birds chirped, squirrels scattered, and insects traveled in various directions. This was a brand new side of California that I had never seen before.

We kept walking, until we reached a peaceful stream. Chase laid the blanket out on the flat surface next to the stream. He pulled various sandwiches, salads, breads, pastries, dips, and all sorts of various foods. I had to fight off the urge to comment on his new exposed talent for cooking.

We divulged into our feast, taking in the scenery, enjoying each other’s quiet company. Previously discovered, our relationship didn’t need words or conversation. Being so well connected, we were able to communicate in other words – smiles, glances, body gestures – which made the experience much more powerful and enjoyable. Maybe Chase’s rules weren’t always ludicrous as I assumed.

Looking into Chase’s eyes, I tried to say “thank you.” His returned smile said “you’re welcome.” We packed up and strolled back to the car. I took in one last glance, knowing it was back to the beaches, sand, sunlight, and ocean waves.

We kept the silence going through the car ride, enjoying the passing sights as the sun began to set over them.

By the time we reached the house, it was dark. But not even darkness could conceal who was sitting on the front steps . . .

“Tyler,” I whispered, pain aching in my heart. Chase’s cheeks fumed with anger.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” Chase stormed up to Tyler. “How dare you show your face here, to us. After all the shit you’ve done. Get the fuck out of here, before I really lose it.”

“Please, Chase, I came to apologize,” Tyler said, vulnerability in his voice. Tyler looked pain stricken and exhausted, as if his guilt prevented him from sleeping last night.

“I don’t want to hear your lame fucking apology,” Chase said. “You know, Hayden’s had enough apologies. From me, from Jessica, but not from you. You don’t apologize, you don’t admit your defeats, unless it’s to benefit only yourself. I’ve had enough of your shit!”

I placed one hand on Chase’s shoulder and the other on his chest, hoping to hold him off from Tyler.

I looked into Tyler’s sad, tired and red eyes, then looked back at Chase. “Chase, please. Let him finish, and say what he needs to say. Please, for me.”

------------

feeeedback! please let me know what you think! you guys have been so great with the comments and everything! and i want to thank every single one of you, for getting me to 200,000 reads!! i was so happy!! you guys are amazing and thanks for making it possible!

forging ahead, comment vote like and tweeeet!