chapter three

alright, so.

clearly, eddy is in over his head with this whole stranger-on-bus-stop-bench situation, and by this point, you'd think he'd be in the practice room by now, running over his audition pieces with a sense of renewed enthusiasm over the fact that he's done a good deed today.

but no. no, he isn't.

instead, he's walking down a street with sun-warmed brick buildings, hands in his pockets as he trails after aforementioned stranger on the way to the other man's apartment. the sun continues to pound down on the world with fiery aggression, and sweat is beginning to pool at the back of eddy's neck. he'd sell a kidney for a chance to get out of the heat, but, well: he's got prior obligations.

it's all for a good cause, eddy tells himself. you're getting free food out of this. it most definitely has nothing to do with the way brett's eyes had turned doe-soft when eddy had offered to walk him home, of course not. what sort of man does he take himself for?

all things considered, the short walk they're taking together isn't half-bad. over the course of the journey, eddy's learned a fair few things about the other man: he's a violinist looking for orchestra auditions; he lives with a roommate he barely gets to see outside of his odd working hours at the local grocer; he has an overwhelming love for bubble tea. eddy is more of a coffee person, but he supposes he can relate to the man's obsession with the beverage in some way. 

in exchange, eddy shares that he, too, is a violinist looking for more orchestra auditions, as he's slated to perform with a string quartet in the city concert hall over the next few weeks. he shares his desire to become a soloist, and when brett echoes the same sentiment, he can't help the grin that tugs at his lips. it's almost strange, the way they seem to fit together like two pieces of the same puzzle, the way the words flow between them as if they've known each other longer than a few hours.

"you should try out for this audition i'm going to next tuesday," he tells brett, absentmindedly observing the way it takes the other man two steps to match his singular footfall. "you might get in, hey?"

"maybe," brett replies, noncommittal. eddy shakes his head; he's definitely going to pester him until he gives in. "i gotta check my schedule first, see if there's any openings."

"what openings? you're practically free all week." eddy taps the violin case in the shorter man's grasp to accentuate his point. "i'll send you the details; i won't forget."

brett huffs a laugh in response, and eddy's heart feels light. the other man looks better already, a light pink flush already staining his cheeks courtesy of the simmering heat, and for that, eddy is immensely glad he's taken the effort to ensure the man's safe arrival home.

all too soon, they finally arrive at a nondescript apartment door, the words on the faded bronze plaque just barely visible on the archway. it doesn't really look like a fancy building at all, not quite like eddy's place uptown, and there's a strange smell emanating from under the doorframe.

"you sure you live here?" he asks brett, looking up at the towering brick face of the apartment block. the other man smiles, shrugs as he digs through his coat for his keys. with a metal jangle, brett twists the doorknob and curses under his breath when the door jams.

"well, it's got the best view this side of town, so," brett trails off, placing his shoulder against the wood and pushing the door hard to get it open. eddy sticks his hands in his pockets and tries not to look too amused at the sight. "could've been worse. good neighbors, though; they don't mind me playing at ungodly hours even though the walls are thin."

eddy grins, pulling out his phone and wordlessly motioning for the other man to do the same. "that's the life, right? god, i wish i had understanding neighbors." well, he actually does, and his bedroom is soundproof enough to allow for playing at night without disturbing anybody, but brett doesn't need to know that. he's trying to relate, damn it.

without further ado, brett gives up his phone for eddy to enter in his number before returning it to its owner. "there," eddy says, holding up his own mobile and wiggling it, "i've secured my dinner."

the other man laughs. "yeah, yeah, i'll mark it on my calendar somewhere." brett pauses, and for an uncertain moment, the two men stand there awkwardly staring at each other in silence. "well, thanks for looking out for me, man. i appreciate it."

"no problem, bro," eddy replies, because that's what friends say to each other. "i'll see you around, yeah?"

"yeah," brett salutes him, grin as bright as the sun. "bye, eddy."

"bye, brett." and with that, eddy takes off into the hustle and bustle of the city once more.

• • •

that night, he pulls out the sheets for the franck violin sonata, places them on the music stand overlooking the balcony and the shimmering city lights below. the first few notes begin to ring out against the walls, carried out through the open window into the wind, and eddy thinks he's never played the piece more sweetly in his entire life.