Chapter 3 - Partners

Oliver was taken aback, his eyes widening and moving over Hiroki's body like strobe lights. A burning sensation invaded his face, reaching his ears as he cowered into the door which held his back as support.

Hiroki leaned down, the cold touch of Oliver's nose dancing against his own as the older man shut his eyes, his grin warming up to compensate for his fellow detective's blush.

"You really are a partner worth keeping around, Oliver."

Oliver gulped, his arm looping around his pursuers neck subconsciously, his breath shaky as his lips parted. Their foreheads would press together and the American couldn't help but match Hiroki's passion due to the sudden contact.

"Yeah well, you are the only partner I've had that's been worth keeping around." Oliver finally responded.

This illicited a chuckle from his elder, Hiroki finally leaning in that extra inch to allow their lips to meet. Oliver's grip around Akiyama's neck tightened just a little but Hiroki was much more gentle, allowing their lips to press together only to part them just a moment later. Hiroki then kissed Oliver's cheek, sitting up and holding his hand out to his partner.

Oliver's eyes in turn fluttered open, brows knitting together. His stare would flicker between Hiroki and his hand, trying to read the other detective's motive. He perched himself up on his elbows, narrowing his eyes a little.

"Are you trying to tease me you prick?"

Hiroki's smile remained soft rather than playful, simply shaking his head.

"It's easy to screw someone, Oliver. But it takes someone special to be able to mutually enjoy subtle affection just as much."

Oliver's expression relaxed at those words, a smile poking at the corners of the smaller's lips as he reached out, taking Hiroki's hand and pulling himself back up in the seat.

"Don't think I forgot about earlier. You're still on thin fucking ice." Oliver simply replied, grabbing the familiar tan case file and slipping open his door, abruptly climbing out of Hiroki's car.

Hiroki chuckled in response, shutting his eyes.

"You got it, captain." Akiyama replied, opening his door and joining Oliver.

"So, Naomi Vega, American model and close friend of Ren Sawaya. Apparently she had a few meltdowns in front of paparazzi and some tabloids managed to pick up info on her trips to local psych wards." Oliver muttered as they walked up the steps to the department, folder open and scanning Naomi's information.

"Do you know the severity of her disorder?" Hiroki asked.

"Well, she has been detained a couple times over damage done to some cameras. Claims of paparazzi's being monsters. Not in the figurative sense though."

Hiroki nodded, reaching the door first and holding it open for his fellow detective.

"From what I know, she's still a bit shaken up, in and out of episodes of delusion." Hiroki added as the two approached the front desk where a lone officer sat.

She was middle aged, but her vibrancy surpassed her superficial smile lines and crows feet. The officer had the charisma of someone in customer service, making her perfect for working the entrance. Her hair was a medium, golden blonde, kept in a neat ponytail.

"Ah, Hiroki! Oliver! How's the case coming along?"

Hiroki smiled, waving as he then rested his arms on the counter, bending over to meet eyes with the woman.

"Ah, too early to really say. But I do believe you have an important witness in your custody?" He asked rheotorically.

"Yes! She is already in an interrogation room. From what I know she's calmed down a bit but I'd still tread carefully."

"Maybe you should handle this one then." Oliver suddenly spoke up flatly, glancing up at the taller male beside him.

"Ah, Oliver... Sure. You aren't exactly a great conversationalist anyways." Hiroki teased, grinning down at the other.

Oliver rolled his eyes, looking away and lightly ramming his elbow into the others side. It irritated the smaller detective but hey, at least Hiroki was back to his old self.

"Whatever, I'll be looking in and taking notes of anything important."

"Sounds like a plan! Let me lead the way so you two can get to it." The female behind the counter stood, walking to her right to a door that led to their desired location.

Oliver and Hiroki wasted no time, following the woman in uniform through the many cubicles of the department. Many detectives were hard at work, researching on laptops or speaking with their respective captain while officers were busy at desk duty.

Phone calls and conversation clouded Hiroki's mind, the sum of voices only growing as it began to give him a headache. But as the sounds blurred his mind, they began to blend, shift, turning into incoherent whispers in his head. Hiroki stopped in his tracks, shutting his eyes as he brought a hand to his temple, rubbing circles against his skull as the detective grit his teeth. The whispers grew louder, consuming his focus bit by bit.

"Hiroki, are you alright?" A woman's voice caused the man's eyes to blink open, meeting the blonde officer's stare.

Oliver had been staring as well, standing beside the officer as she stood in the doorway, door being held open at the entrance for the top detective.

"Ah yes, sorry."