Chapter 1 - Tokyo Things

Tokyo, Japan.

  Neon lights bragged in the faces of anyone who walked its busy, narrow streets. Holograms of advertisements would play from buisnesses above, advertising their products in a minute or less, only to repeat it's deal once more. Some would be of beautiful women, wearing scantily clad clothing, or whimsical characters from religious symbols to creatures of fantasy. Skyscrapers towered over any passerby, making one question their significance in such a vast landscape. 

  Gold and white luminescence shined through most of the tower's vast number of windows, but these artificial lights were the only thing igniting one's surroundings. The sky had been dense with depths of black, the clouds likely concealing the beautiful nature of the sky above. Superficial commercialism dominated over natural beauty on this night and no other city could compare to its domineering glow.

It had been nearly three in the morning and alone down a one lane street drove a black 1970 dodge challenger, its headlights illuminating the old, crooked road ahead, the gentle sounds of tires rolling over potholes filling the air.

  "You know, I've never seen anything like it. You would think he'd be going after the hookers near Yakuza territory, not beloved celebrities in downtown Tokyo." A deep, husky voice mused from within the vehicle. This voice belonged to the driver and top detective of Tokyo's precinct, Hiroki Akiyama. The man had rose to the top of his field, a highly respected idol within the force. But, he didn't quite have the formality to back it up.

  He filled his seating out wide, his elbow occasionally bumping into the door on his left side. Dark locks would occasionally brush over his vision, causing the man to adjust his hair tie with one hand. Flecks of gold glimmered due to the streetlight's reflection in his eyes, though they only peeked through a narrow stare. His lips occasionally pursed, dissipating as his cheeks puffed out subconsciously.

  The detective kept his top loose, two buttons left untouched, tucked into black dress pants. Hiroki would occasionally tug at his suspenders, the tightness feeling more constraining than Akiyama's usual attire.

  "It isn't really all that complicated." A flat voice droned out in response, a soft sigh slipping past the keeper of the speaker.

  "Oh, how so?"

  "Well, some killers like to play it safe. In fact, most do. As you pointed out. It's easy to go after a prostitute. More conveinient. Its easier to seclude one and they likely have nobody who cares enough to fight for their vengeance. But, some serial killers like a harder catch. They also will take a higher risk if it means a higher reward. Especially if they are confident in their craft."

  Hiroki chuckled in response, fingers lightly tapping at his steering wheel.

  "Their craft?" He asked.

  "I assume that for a killer of this degree, he would consider it more of a craft than a high."

  "What's that supposed to mean?"

  "Some killers care more about the physical release of ending a life. It gives them a dopamine release, a high. But for a killer going around slashing up celebrities, I'm sure he cares more about the quality, the outcome. Not the superficial and momentary sensation of ending a life. If that were the case, he would play it safe, wouldn't he?"

  Hiroki pretended to contemplate the point in his head, eventually shrugging in response before taking a right turn onto a more common road used for work commutes, leading them straight through a surrounding of skyscrapers and nightclubs.

"I guess. But how do you know the perpetrator is male?"

"Its just a blanket assumption really. Most serial killers are male so I'm assuming he's got a dick." The soft voice simply replied.