Chapter 3 - Partners

Começar do início

"You're kidding." Oliver finally spoke up.

The corners of Hiroki's lips suddenly bent down, gritting his teeth as he looked back ahead, hands gripping at the wheel once more.

"I knew you wouldn't believe me. You just see anyone in a different head space as you as unwell and inferior."

"I do not! It isn't like that at all!" Oliver suddenly yelled out, his own outburst causing his cheeks to heat up in shame.

Young scowled, staring down at his lap as he balled his hands into fists.

"I sympathize with those who suffer those kinds of illnesses. It's just..." Oliver sighed, shutting his eyes.

"It's just what?"

There was another uncomfortable moment of silence, Oliver's mind trailing through mental files for an efficient answer.

"Nevermind. It doesn't matter. I know you aren't someone unlucky enough to have that kind of problem, so what is it? What did Ren, erm- Ren's body say?"

The light had turned green and Hiroki was quick to push the gas, focusing on the road ahead as they were now only down the road from the police department.

"It said that it wanted my soul."

Oliver's nerves felt unhinged due to those words. He didn't know if it was because he believed Hiroki or if it was because he feared his partner's mental health was truly deteriorating. Either way, something about this case was endangering Hiroki and that thought put Oliver in a protective state of mind.

"It seems like the issue isn't me believing you, is it? Do you believe what you saw was real?" Oliver asked.

Hiroki sighed, pulling into a parallel park between two police cruisers. Once parked, he turned his car key, effectively shutting off the automobile. Hiroki then rested his elbows on the wheel. The detective buried his face in his hands, shutting his eyes.

"It's less about wether or not it was real. It most likely wasn't. But what if I am losing it? What if you look at me like that girl in there? What if I become that girl in there? Tearing myself apart, everyone seeing me as incompetent..." Hiroki trailed off, going silent after a moment.

Oliver had stared off at his partner, his body going stiff as his teeth tugged at his lip with unease. He suddenly reached out, tugging at Hiroki's wrist until the elder gave in, allowing his hand to slide from his face and into Oliver's grasp. Their fingers would intertwine as Oliver brought his hand to Hiroki's cheek, guiding the normally upbeat detective's gaze into his own.

Hiroki stared back, his eye's glancing away occasionally, trying to retreat only to be guided back by Oliver's thumb running over his cheek.

"I don't care about your health... I mean I do. But, stuff like that... It won't shake me away. People who piss me off, I normally wouldn't interact with them unless they're getting cuffed. But you, you've pissed me off more than anyone I know. But I'm still here, aren't I? If you annoying me can keep me around, why would I leave over something that hurts you more than anyone?" Oliver whispered.

"I won't ever leave you alone. Especially to suffer. I promise."

Hiroki's eyes had grown more focused on Oliver as he spoke, his cheeks burning as he listened to the handsome boy speak. A grin soon formed and Hiroki suddenly pressed a hand over the temperamental detectives chest, pushing the other until Oliver's back was pressed against the car door. Hiroki slowly loomed over his parter, a knee on each side of Oliver's hips as one hand pressed against the car door window while the other took it's turn cupping Oliver's cheek.