10. Responsibility

The tabloid felt heavy in Makana's hand. She walked quietly beside Cyton as they were being escorted to the medical branch of the Command Rock. The Terrans trudged behind them, silent as well. The only person that was unaware of their current state was the Yutuvese assistant, a small Pilaran man.

  "How was it in there? Not too harsh I suppose, if you all still have your body parts intact." He chirped, greeting a group of diplomats that passed them. His bright pink skin seemed to harshly contrast everything around them. He was smaller than most Pilarans, his head barely came to Makana's thigh. She was surprised at his great Tuza accent.

"Mog, was it?" Makana asked, her voice tight with annoyance.

      The Pilaran tossed a look over his shoulder at her. "It's Moog." He grumbled. "Whatever," Makana growled. "We just need some silence from here on out. Thank you." The Pilaran, Moog, frowned as one of the ranks behind them chortled.

They walked in the outer halls of the Command Rock. The white archways overlooked the Drift with clearstone to protect them from falling. Makana didn't bother looking out to the beautiful view. Her thoughts were solely focused on what had just happened with the Governors. They had just tossed the Terrans her way.

  She was well aware of the new burden that now rested upon her shoulders. Any wrong breath from the Terrans would result in punishment. Makana suddenly grew very tired. Simply exhausted of everything in her life. Maintaining Chu'a a secret, keeping up with the deuce she didn't love, tending the newly found Terrans, constantly working, taking care of her little sister.

Her shoulders dropped, her ears sagged, her back curved without dignity. As they rounded a corner, Moog glanced at her with distaste at her posture. "Not a very educated Tuzi, huh?" He chuckled, elbowing Cyton in his side. The Pilaran immediately fell silent as Cyton's heavy frown glowered over him.

      Cyton's eyes flickered over to Makana. Just as she thought his frown couldn't go any deeper, her uncle proved her wrong. "Straighten up, niece. There are many respected people here." He said in Siri, his voice in the same dangerously quiet tone that Makana loathed.

No, I'm tired, Makana wanted to scream. But she quickly reminded herself of her family's name being exposed to the public now. Makana didn't want any type of shame brought upon them. Not answering, she felt herself straighten. Her shoulders tensed into a perfect posture. And her jaw squared.

        They continued to walk in silence. Even the Terrans were quiet, shuffling behind them. Moog turned to the left, away from the beautiful main hall and the stunning view. The hall was narrow and brightly lighted, making it seem like real starlight was shining down on them. A group of medical doctors passed them, discussing something in low voices.

They glanced up, uneasiness overtaking their faces as they saw the Terrans. "Good dawning, ladies." Moog greeted with a grin. One of them paused, looking down at him with distaste. "It is doctor to you." The Tuzi woman snapped, turning off her tabloid in annoyance as she walked back to her colleagues.

     Makana knew that in the spheroid of Tuzuno, it was mandatory for all the medics to be women. They had more of a maternal touch, the Governors had decided. Just like how only men were allowed to be soldiers. Everyone was use to it, it had been in the Decrees for a few centuries now. But other species like the Pilarans, weren't. Makana frowned at the back of Moog's head, wishing her eyes could burn holes.

The pink Pilaran man stopped in front of a large grey colored rectangle on the smooth white wall. It took a few clicks for Makana to realize the large rectangle was a door. It hissed as it slid open. Moog stepped aside, gesturing them to go inside.