Chapter 4.

I didn't understand Niklaus behaviour to me. He went a month without checking up on me. Why did I have to be the one to always start the conversation? I didn't want to be the one always reaching out. I didn't get to see Apple like before. The results of the last semester made everyone withdrawn. My results were fair, Anike's own were also okay but I checked Apple's own and it was not so good. I knew he was the unserious type but I still liked him. Mum encouraged Anike and I to work harder this semester since we were aware it was not easy for us to gain admission. Her exacts words were: "I know you tried your best but you can do more."

The hours I spent looking, staring and admiring Apple reduced in that semester. I would long to see him in class (which was futile) and often see him in a canteen beside the place where our fellowships held with girls as usual. I prayed to God to take away what I felt for Apple and Niklaus since I seemed to be the only one reaching out. But as usual I felt butterflies in my chest whenever I saw Apple.

It was Niklaus birthday in the month of August. There was no light in the hostel the day before his birthday date and I felt bad. I needed to send him a birthday message to get back at him for not replying to my texts and just reading it. I had it in mind to just read his reply when he read my message without replying. I eventually got to charge my phone with Anike's course mate's power bank. I sent the message on a Monday. I was surprised when he commented on Precious post on Instagram without replying to my text. The guts! As I looked at Precious I tried controlling my anger. So he could comment 'beautiful' on another girls post. 😂😥

I saw Apple on my way to Fellowship. I was already late but Anike told me he was staring at us. He wore a grey shirt with black trousers and slippers. He put earpieces in his ears as he walked. During the service, I caught him staring at me because the canteen he went to upstairs and our service held downstairs in a storey building in the school premises. I was did not expect to see Apple (although I had been peering up to get a glimpse of him) and I was shocked. Something suddenly rushed in my chest and I had to place my hand on my chest to steady it. He had that kinda effect on me. I was happy that day and I slept peacefully.
My roommates were kinda okay and they all had different perspectives to life which I didn't really agree with. Three out of them were in a relationship. We opened up to each other one particular night and my bunk-mate seemed to have been in a relationship and I hadn't even been in one. I was still hung up on having crushes. I took one of my room-mate's phone and went through her conversation with her boyfriend. I wanted to know how couples chatted with each other. It was kinda like the one I had with Niklaus but this was more fun and had elements of 'care.' 😂😂😂
Niklaus was always on my mind and I prayed he would reach out just once and say 'hello.' I had the urge to text him because I thought of him but my pride wouldn't let me. For God's sake I was not desperate but I needed to know how his feelings towards me. Waiting was like torture but what could I do? Niklaus was busy updating his story on Instagram and I wondered why he started the conversation in the first place. He should have just left me being a fan who liked all his pictures on Instagram. I relayed this to Precious who stated he might be busy.

"Busy my foot! I am busy also. I have my studies to focus on but I'm taking time to try to connect with him." I said as I walked with Precious to a programme we were told to attend in our faculty.
"Try to be considerate na...Abike." She said while she gave me a questioning look.
"Whatever. I just thank God I didn't put my eggs in one basket. I still have Apple to focus on. At least he's in my faculty and not in another country like someone." Precious shaked her head.
"Why don't you just focus on one person Abike?" I was surprised at her statement.
"How can I? For God's sake he's a full grown man at 28 and only God knows what he's doing over there. Who knows the ladies he is with over there? Don't judge me gal." I was not wrong here.
"You shouldn't judge him too. He is a celeb and he might not have time for all you're accusing him of." She said and walked on. She always felt like she was right. I was the one who was kinda suffering here.
"Agbejoro! (In Yoruba dialect meaning Lawyer) Let's forget about Niklaus jare." Precious looked at me confused.
"You know I don't really understand Yoruba. Why would you say that?" She looked so cute with a confused look.
"You should have thought about that before you started defending Niklaus." I said and smiled at her.