04| A Way Out

The pair stayed in the hollow log again that night, since it was already late afternoon by the time they would've set out

The pair stayed in the hollow log again that night, since it was already late afternoon by the time they would've set out. Miles had decided to inform Buneary about Roserade, and it seemed that she knew about the Pokémon. From the shocked, then fearful, look on Buneary's face, this Roserade was infamous.

   After filling up on berries and water again the next morning, Miles and Buneary headed out into the forest. Buneary led, and Miles cautiously followed.

   Buneary took Miles down several shady, winding paths, none of them manmade. They were merely worn strips through the brush that Pokémon Buneary's size made. As such, paths for Pokémon under four feet tall were difficult for Miles' nearly six-foot frame to maneuver through properly. He'd be embarrassed to admit that he smacked his head on a tree branch more than once.

   Eventually, he gave up and crawled through, cursing the thorns and thistles that scratched him all the way. Buneary, meanwhile, was oblivious to the curses that Miles spat every five seconds. Luckily for him, the bubbly Pokémon didn't seem to comprehend swear words.

   It took far too long for them to emerge from the Pokémon trails, and when they did, Miles was overjoyed. The stinging scratches on his face and hands shared his sentiments. It turned out that they had emerged onto a more uniform path marked by dirt. And while the Pokémon trails continued on the other side of the path, Miles was more inclined to follow the more natural path. Well, more natural for him.

   Not far down the path was a wooden sign set up along the path. "Eterna City: 5 mi. Beware of Murkrow and Misdreavus." Miles' heart leapt. It was a few miles, but it was a solid idea of distance from civilization. He looked up at the orange-yellow sky. It was obvious that it was going to be dark soon, if the growing shadows between the trees weren't enough evidence.

   There was a small clearing not too far off the path, so Miles and Buneary decided to set up camp there for the night.

   "There... doesn't happen to be anything to eat around here, is there?" Miles asked as his stomach grumbled. Buneary smiled and vanished into the foliage.

   Miles leaned back on his palms, trying to relax. But he did keep his eyes and ears open. For as beautiful as the forest was, the calls of wild Pokémon managed to make it unsettling. He then heard a rustle nearby, and his nerves bristled. What if that sound wasn't Buneary? Fortunately though, it was.

   Buneary emerged into the clearing, not with berries, but dandelions. Miles frowned at the weeds. Were these even edible? "There's nothing else?" he asked. Buneary's shoulders slouched as she shook her head. Miles sighed. It was either these or deal with the internal stabs until the next morning.

   While the two ate, Miles grew tired of the silence between them that had reigned for most of the day. He began to talk to Buneary. It wasn't about anything in particular, just things in his life. But that of course led to the reason why he'd been in Eterna Forest in the first place.

   "So then my brother was adopted, but I wasn't," he said, frowning. "After that, things got really bad. I kept moving from home to home. But no matter what, I'd always get kicked out. I couldn't help it though." His heart sank. He could never help it. He knew the people wouldn't care, but they never even seemed to notice him unless he did something they didn't like. "The only person who seems to care is my caseworker, but I'm sure he's sick of my shit by now too."

   "Bun..."

   Miles looked at Buneary. "Do you actually care about me though? I know you're happy that I'm here with you, but do you care?"

   Buneary's eyes widened at that. She then buried her face in his sleeve, nuzzling him. Uncertainty filled him. She didn't care, did she? She just wanted someone to play with. Anger then mixed with the uncertainty, and he scowled.

   "C-can you just leave me alone for now?" he asked, lightly pushing Buneary away. Whether she cared or not, she didn't deserve to have this taken out on her. Her eyes widened as her mouth gaped open a bit. Then a pleading look filled her eyes as her paws clenched at her chest. Miles tried to ignore the heartbreaking expression. He pulled his hood up and closed so it obscured his vision before laying down with his back to Buneary. He couldn't stand seeing that look.

   When he awoke, he expected her to be long gone.

   —~*~—

Miles awoke to an odd smell. It was... sweet. His nose wrinkled as he opened his eyes, and his vision was filled with sunlight and bright colors. His eyes focused, and he could see a small pile of Pecha and Razz berries mixed with a few dandelions sitting on a wide leaf a few inches from his face.

   Why'd she bother leaving these for me? He glanced up, only to see Buneary sitting nearby. His mouth couldn't help but fall open in shock.

   "Buneary? You... actually stayed?" he asked.

   She smiled and nodded. "Eary!" She didn't have to. She could've left him, and he would've followed the path. But she hadn't. Buneary bounced over to him and sat next to him, smiling up at him. So she actually cared?

   Miles didn't know how to feel. But the feeling soon became evident. Happy. He was happy. For the first time in a while, he smiled. "Thank you for staying."