02| Lost

As the inertia took effect, one thought rang loud in Miles' mind

As the inertia took effect, one thought rang loud in Miles' mind. He was fortunate to have worn a seatbelt.

He was flung towards the back of the passenger side seat but was yanked to a guttering halt by the seat-belt. It still didn't save his face from slamming into the seat. The pain in his forehead and nose was immediate and startling, stunning him.

Miles fell back, crumpling awkwardly against the seat. There he lay for a few harrowing seconds, his mind struggling to comprehend what had happened while the scent of rank copper filled his nose and began seeping out, warming his pale skin and painting it with streams of blood.

Finally, Miles' thoughts managed to catch up to the current moment. They had... crashed? But why? There hadn't been any other cars around, at least any he could see. Where there had been so much noise moments before, there was none now. It was a deathly kind of quiet, one that would make someone break out in goosebumps.

After a minute Miles was able to unbuckle the seat-belt. He slumped forwards, a hand grasping at his aching forehead. His other hand lightly trailed across his upper lip, and he winced when he confirmed the existence of what he thought was there.

"Sir? Are you okay?" Miles called out. No answer, and he instantly grew concerned. He crawled up to the front seat, brushing aside shards of broken glass as he did so. Through the shattered windshield he could see the front end of the car thoroughly smashed against the tree. It was totaled. But looking to the driver's seat, Miles' heart dropped.

Mr. Wright lay with his head against the steering wheel. Glass dusted his shirt and graying navy hair. The airbag hadn't activated, which resulted him in smashing his forehead against the wheel. Blood dripped down the wheel, the sight and smell of which turned Miles' stomach.

"Oh shit, no..!" Miles choked, fumbling for the man's wrist like he'd seen people do on TV. Fortunately, there was still a pulse, and Miles sighed in relief at that. But with Mr. Wright unconscious, Miles would have to be the one to call for help. Mr. Wright wasn't wearing his Xtransceiver, so Miles searched the pile of papers that had been on the passenger side seat and were now all over the floor.

Faint pale illumination could be seen under a couple of papers, and Miles made a hopeful grab for what he was sure was the Xtransceiever. And he was right, it was the device... cracked and displaying a dreaded white screen of death. Miles' hope died in an instant. There was no getting in contact with anyone.

Fear and panic began to rise in Miles. Cursing to himself, he looked out of the car window and to the road to see if there was someone out there, perhaps another passing car. There was nobody there. But at the same time, there was something. Miles couldn't make it out too well due to the waning light. Curiosity sparked in him. He made his way to the backseat and began trying to open the door. It took some forcing, but it opened with a loud squeal of twisting metal.