Thirty-Four

In County, a prison guard counts his envelope of cash as Jax is brought to the office. Damon Pope waits for him in the guard commander's office and says he only wants to talk.

"Just here to talk." Pope tells a tense Teller.

"Yeah? Is that what you told Tig's girl before you set her on fire?"

"Let's not discuss the tragedy of dead girls. That's an argument you'd lose. Look, I tried to reach out to you, somehow make this right."

"What the hell do you want, man?"

"You were able to get protection inside. Profitable relationships with the Galindo cartel, Real IRA, guns, coke. You guys are too smart. Too, uh, ambitious."

"For a bunch of white trash bikers?"

"To kill. Now, I know you're not dealing the coke, you're muling it."

"What's your end?"

"You don't think I'll find out? A hundred per shipment. Now 50 of that is mine."

"That's not gonna happen without a-" Jax interrupts.

"This is not a discussion. This is about you learning how to survive. Now, Trager, he stays inside for the rest of his life. I'll make sure he's treated accordingly. This way, every time I think about my daughter, I know where he is and what's being done to him. I need a dead Son for the Niner and the cop you killed. It maintains my relationships. I don't care who. The commander knows about it. He'll set it up. When that happens, witnesses are no longer witnesses and you get out to earn."

"Come on, man. I'm not just gonna kill one of my guys."

"Yes, you are. Before the next guard shift. The cost of doing battle."

"I'm not going to war."

"You're already in it," Pope tells him as he stands up to leave, "Son."

The dirty guard comes back, telling Jax the thing he has to handle will go down in solitary

~ SOA ~ ~ SOA ~

This time is different, Ellie thinks. This time- her dad being locked up is way different. Prospects shadow her everywhere, her mom is constantly asking questions and being way more protective. Whatever landed her dad in prison again, must be serious, she knows that. Abel and Thomas are in daycare at the hospital while her mom works. She keeps them away from Grandma now, telling Ellie to stay away from her too. Ellie knows she's using her dad's time away as an advantage to keep Gemma distant. She wants her new mother-in-law to back off and let her raise her own kids how she wants. Ellie thinks that it all has something to do with her Grandma's new boyfriend, Nero, she met.

Ellie's at the hospital with Abel and Thomas. She's in the daycare, watching over her little brothers, as Abel plays with  other kids his age. He comes to sit down next to her when he points, "Hey, Grandma!"