Twenty-Three

"Thank you, Stockton. It's been a real pleasure. Let's get the hell out of here."

Jax, Clay, and the other SAMCRO members are released from prison after 14 months for federal weapon charges and return to Charming where they encounter a new sheriff and an assistant US Attorney who set up a secret task force against the club.

Meanwhile, waiting for their return at the clubhouse, Gemma, Tara, Abel, a newborn Thomas sit at the table out front. Tara looks at all three of her growing children. Abel's grown so quickly, he runs, talks up a storm, and is glued to his sister's side whenever she's around. Ellie, now 14, is physically more mature now thanks to puberty. She's finished middle school is a new freshman in high school. Her dad being locked away was hard for her, but she hid it from her mother, as Tara was newly pregnant when Jax was locked up. Ellie was a big help, a sweetheart during her mother's pregnancy with Thomas. She basically took care of Abel all by herself when Tara was working and wasn't physically able to keep up with her oldest son. She had grown close to her mother, Lyla, and the Winston children.

While her relationship with her mother was strong, her relationship (or lack of) with her father was questionable. Ellie outright refused to visit him in prison. Tara tried, pleaded, knowing just how much Jax missed his daughter- Ellie wouldn't change her mind. Tara knew her anger at the club, and at her father's arrest, prevented her from going. Many times, Jax called the house phone and left voicemails for Ellie since she wouldn't even speak to him over the phone. Jax wrote her letters, she read them, but never wrote back. Tara hoped that since her father was coming back home, she'd open back up to him and they'd bond again. Abel's child innocence kept him protected from the harsh realities from this life and the club, but Ellie was old enough to know the truth.

The roar of motorcycles in the distance made Abel smile and stand up on the table's bench. He had been drawing pictures for his father to welcome him home. He was so excited, and kept a calendar at home to mark down the days until he would see his father again.

Samcro rolled through the gates, cheers errupting from all their family waiting with open arms, huge grins on Tara and Gemma's faces. Jax got off his bike and grinned at the sight of an excited, hyper Abel.

"Daddy's home." Gemma tells her grandson, pointing at Jax.

"Yeah!" Tara points, "Say hi to Daddy."

Abel sprints into his father's arms as Jax crouches down to his level and catches him. He throws him up in the air, a smile on his face, and an even bigger smile on Abel's face as he holds him close. Gemma and Tara watch with smiles of their own.

"How you doing?" Jax kisses his son, carrying him over to the table, "Alright?"

"Someone's happy." Gemma comments as she stands up to hug her son.

"She did good." Gemma tells him as he stares at Thomas before picking him up, briefly glancing at Ellie, "Yeah, I know. She did great."

After talking with Gemma, Tara, Abel, they head inside the clubhouse to get out of the heat and feed the kids. Jax stands by the side of the table and stares at his daughter. She's rolling up a ripped piece of paper in between her fingers as she doesn't even glance his way. Jax feels himself becoming emotional just watching her. Tara brought Abel and Thomas for visits, but his daughter was never with them. He couldn't blame her. He'd be pissed too. He can't believe how much she's grown. It looks like she's aged three years in those 14 months since he's seen her. Jax goes around to the table and sits down next to her. He brushes his fingers lightly over her cheek, "I don't even get a 'hi'?"