♔06| The Cellar

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*🐝 *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

THE GROUP NERVOUSLY APPROACHED THE CELLAR IN THE DARK OF THE NIGHT. Steve held his bat firmly in one hand, taking the lead of the group. Audrey followed closely behind, flashlight in hand beside Dustin, who seemed more nervous now that they were actually there. Not only had he previously trapped the monster all on his own, but he was now on his way to see it again, after it had viciously devoured his family cat. He still didn't know how he was possibly going to break the news to his mother, and he secretly hoped she would just believe him when he told her Meows escaped. 

"I don't really understand why I needed to be here, Dustin." Audrey commented, careful as to where she stepped. Her frustration began to grow as she had to constantly lift her dress, trying not ruin it, but she already had a feeling that was going to be near impossible.

Damn these boys for not giving her time to change.

"Audrey?" Dustin stopped to turn to look at her. She stopped as well, curious, as she turned to face the young boy. The look he wore was none other than annoyance at her seemingly idiotic commentary.

"Yes?" she questioned innocently.

"Complain one more time, and I will push you into the cellar, lock the door, and walk away." Dustin deadpanned, looking at her with complete seriousness. Audrey's jaw dropped and she laughed a little in disbelief.

"Woah woah woah, hey," Steve interupted hastily, facing the two. "Nobody is going in there without a weapon, you hear me?"

"Always on her side." Dustin murmured, kicking the ground in annoyance. He wishfully hoped nobody had heard him.

"What was that?" Steve challenged. "You wanna go in there first?"

Dustin didn't make a sound in return, realizing he was now outnumbered, and stalked off awkwardly toward the cellar once more. Under his breath, he muttered curses pertaining to Steve and his obvious crush on Audrey Valentine. He believed their mutual attraction was so obvious even a blind man could see it, Audrey and Steve excluded from this statement.

Nothing emitted from the cellar as the group surrounded it, having expected loud cries or growls to sound from the crawlspace.

"I don't hear shit." Steve said.

"He's in there." Dustin assured, taking his place beside the teenager nervously. Any moment now. He thought to himself. Any moment and the two disbelieving older kids would have no other choice but to agree that Dart did in fact exist.

Steve lightly tapped the doors, not a single sound replying to his disturbance. After a beat, he slammed the bat against the metal this time, confirming his suspicions. Nothing was in there. At this point,  Steve began to believe this was some sort of stupid game the kids had planned.

"All right, listen, kid. I swear if this is some sort of Halloween prank - you're dead, alright?"

"It's not a prank."

A second passed before Steve nodded, choosing to give it another shot.

"You got a key to this thing?"

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*🐝 *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

After the cell door was opened, the group stared into the darkness, Audrey becoming more intrigued than afraid. She crossed her arms and squinted, trying to look for any sign of a baby demogorgon.

"Let me see that." Steve said to her gently, taking the flashlight from her hand, brightening up the scene.

"He must be further down there." Dustin added, standing as far as he possibly could from the entrance. "I'll stay up here in case he tries to escape."

Both of the teens stared at him in disappointment for a second, shaking their heads.

Nobody made a move to take the bullet and go inside, each one worried that something horrible would happen to them. The fear was only multiplied by the silence, and the trio wanted so desperately for this to not be real.

After waiting there for long enough however, Audrey impatiently snatched the flashlight back, and started making her way into the cellar.

"Hey, Adds, what are you doing?"

"What does it look like, Harrington?" She smiled cockily, letting her curiosity trump her fear as she trekked further.

"What about your.. dress." He commented, hoping to say anything to keep her from doing this.

Audrey froze for a second, taking a look at her outfit. She had partially forgotten about the dirtied dress, other than the fact that it had been a pain to walk in. It was painted in a deep brown, dirt decorating the once pristine lace, and she frowned at the sight.

"Fuck it." Audrey grabbed the bottom of her dress from different sides, pulling them apart roughly. The dress tore from end to end, and she finished the job, giving her more room to move around. To save the fabric, she tied it around her waist and knotted it snugly. She then continued down the steps, pushing down the sadness that tried to overcome her.

Once she made it down, she scanned the room with the flashlight, wishing she had brought some sort of weapon with her in case she was to be surprised by the small terrorist.

Footsteps sounded from behind her and her best friend appeared next to her.

"What are you doing?" Audrey copied his words from before.

"Thought I was gonna let you come down here alone?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. "Not a chance."

They shared a tender smile with one another before focusing in once more, each taking one corner of the room. Audrey flashed the light over the boxes and shelves covered in dust, and with each second, she started believing the monster was even there anymore. Contrary to Steve's lack of belief in Dustin, Audrey had complete confidence that he was telling the truth, as much as she wanted to dismiss it.

"Uh, Addy?"

"Yeah, what is it?"

"Dustin, get down here!" Steve called urgently. Once Audrey's eyes landed on what Steve's had, her fear returned.

"Ah shit." The youngest boy cried.

"Oh shit!"

The group couldn't believe what they were seeing.

"There's no way.."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*🐝 *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

i had planned on writing a much longer chapter, but i wanted to keep up with the suspense! also, i was madly inspired since i just finished watching season 4 part 2.. what do y'all think by the way????

no spoilers here, but it was wild. im so excited to see what im gonna do with that season.

anywho!

thank you so much for reading, i hope you enjoyed and i'll see you next time! :)

- gigi <3

(p.s. had a little reference moment of 'damned if i do' by Anika_Ann_M which is a fantastic fanfiction that I highly recommend if you like matt murdock!!)