Tom x Abandoned Child Reader

(Part 1)

The night was brisk and cold. A harsh wind whistled along trash strewn alleys and the brightly lit main streets of the city twinkled like fallen stars in the blue black of the night. Icicles that had formed over the long winter month dripped water to the concrete ground below where it collected in small frozen puddles along the street thanks to the toasty heat from buildings and smoky exhaust from passing cars. The scent of baked goods mixed with wood and pine created a heavenly aroma that settled in the air and chased away the hidden rot of the city.

Christmas lights that were strung between lamp posts, fences, and gutters flashed like dancing fireflies of summer's past to the tempo faint music that could be heard playing through the closed windows of homes and cafés. Despite the lovely atmosphere that portrayed such a christmasy theme, the world was just too cold to properly enjoy it all. To make matters worse, another cold front was blowing in from the North, bringing with it heavy clouds that threatened to bury the city in blankets of snow.

Of course, this was apparently the perfect time for a spiky haired brunette with shocking black holes for eyes wearing a frown and nursing a huge grudge over everything related to Christmas, to decide to take a walk. The bitter wind nipped at his exposed face, turning his cheeks and nose a dark shade of red. He was thankful that his ears remained safe from the element beneath the fluff of his earmuffs, but that the was the only thing he was thankful about this Christmas.

His scarf was tucked tightly around his neck to protect it from the winter wind and the collar of his over coat was pulled up as high as it could go, the dark blue fabric brushing just barely against the fuzz on his chin. His boots crunched noisily on the frozen snow that glittered under the fluorescent lights lined up along the concrete sidewalk. Tom grit his teeth with a silent snarl and glared at all the lights and music that drifted along everywhere he went. Tom swore that if he heard Mariah Carey's voice singing about how much she wanted somebody again he was going to light something on fire.

That something would preferably be a Christmas tree.

Yep, Tom was pretty much the closest living embodiment of Scrooge and The Grinch combined what with his hatred for all things Christmasy or joyful. The only reason he was even walking outside right now in this weather and through the decorated city was because the car had been frozen and refused to budge from it's spot in the driveway and Tom would be damned if he went another second in that house with his friends singing carols without a drink in his hand.

He was just beginning to regret not stocking up on his Smirnoff and drinking what little he had in one afternoon when something stopped him in tracks. An echoing cry cut through the air, so high pitched and near silent that it could be played off as the howling wind. Tom froze in front of the now empty street, the alley next to him looking ominous what with it being cloaked in darkness.

Tom strained his ears for the cry again.

A couple chatting to themselves on the other side of the street, the angry honk of a car in the distance, the sickeningly joyous melody of carolers just down the block. He heard everything except for the cry.

"Maybe I'm just hearing things. Damn, I need a drink." Tom muttered to himself and moved to walk again when another piercing cry split the air.

"Okay, I know I heard it that time." Tom stated aloud before walking closer to the dark alley.

The wind that screeched in his face carried with it the faint scent of mold and rotting garbage that had Tom's nose wrinkling with disgust. He stood there, torn between ignoring the cry and going on his un-merry way to get his prized Smirnoff or to go and investigate what was crying.