19. "Yes, darling, we did."

Farren
As she began to stir, Farren tried to shift her position but was woken by the realization that she was in bed with Emil.

"Morning, love." He whispered when she opened her eyes. "Did I wake you with my embrace?"

Emil wasn't wearing his mask, which made Farren smile. Their faces were close, but she was positioned higher up on the pillow than he was.

"No," she replied softly. "But may I have a kiss?"

She noticed Emil's lips twitch into a smile before he pushed himself up a bit to kiss her lips. Her hands began to roam up to his bare shoulders, but before she could touch his neck, he pulled away. Farren groaned and tried to pull him back down, her efforts were futile, but they did however get Emil to smirk.

"As sweet as you would be for breakfast, we have a long day ahead of us." He sat up.

"Oh god," Farren wrapped her arms around Emil before he could get off of the bed. "We probably gave Paris quite the scare last night, didn't we?"

She felt his body vibrate as he chuckled. "Yes darling we did, but let's have a warm drink before we part."

"Where are you going?" She asked, releasing him to sit next to him.

"Everywhere and nowhere."

Farren raised a brow and Emil smiled.

"I've got errands to run around the Opera House."

"Oh, right."

Farren watched Emil put on his robe, and absentmindedly she also tightened hers. It had loosened as she slept.

She remained seated for a while longer, thinking about the publicity she would have to deal with.

Emil

"I think I will have to check in with everyone, to let them know I am safe."

Emil paused his slicing of bread to look up at Farren. She was staring at her cup of coffee, but suddenly looked up at him.

"And what am I going to do about Raul?" She asked. "We lost our opportunity at the ball."

"We did, didn't we." Emil muttered and resumed his slicing.

He heard Farren let out a frustrated sigh, but didn't look up. If he hadn't been so desperate to get Farren in his arms last night, Raul would have been dealt with and Farren would not have to deal with public for his schemes.

Emil set the bread at the center of the table, and Farren finally spoke.

"This bread is fresh, where di- ?"

"Giry," Emil replied curtly.

Farren laughed lightly. "Emil, why are you the irritable one?"

"I suppose it is not in my place to be," He looked at her. Despite everything, she seemed cheerful. "I'm sorry love, I supposed I am just ashamed of where my mindless haste to reach you last night has gotten you."

"Well what of you? Wouldn't this alert the prince of your whereabouts?"

"Nadir and I believe he has not made the association between the Opera Ghost and I, and I don't expect that will change."

"Then he is no longer a concern?"

"So long as Nadir remains out of their reach, he is not." Emil paused. "But about that pesky Spaniard. I have a mask, one such as the ones soldiers would dawn to hide their facial deformities. It isn't very convincing however, so you would have to take it upon yourself to make it so."

Farren's eyes lit up and she smiled, which made his heart sink. He wasn't confident if he could give her a life on the surface world, especially with her social standing, it would be hard for him to hide.

Farren

Farren reached the upper floors of the opera house with the shadow of dread creeping over her shoulders. She desperately wished to return to the comforts of Emil's abode, but escaping her arranged marriage was not a task she could ignore.

As Farren was absentmindedly playing with the ring that still hung around her neck, she bumped Raul.

"Farren," Raul blinked, initially startled by her appearance. His hands grasped her shoulders. "You realize that what happened yesterday means you cannot remain without a man any longer? How scandalous you are riddening your family name. I am doing you a great favor, Farren, please realize this now."

Farren tried to shake off his arms but achieved nothing in her favor. He held her tighter and she knew she would bruise. I don't need a man. "I have a man, and that man is not you."

"Lies," he hissed, his savior façade falling. "Where was he last night? Why haven't you told me sooner? Have you painted him, perhaps? Appear to you in a dream, did he?"

"Raul let go, you are hurting me!" Farren finally shouted. She was offended by his words, but felt guilty for feeling that way. What she had with Emil was true and it was strong, wasn't it?

Raul let go roughly, pushing her back slightly. "We will marry, I will be a Battista. You have no one but me, Farren. Serás mía." He turned on his heel and stomped off, leaving a very furious Farren behind.

When he was far enough that he would not hear her she wished him a journey to hell. How could her only task have gone so horribly wrong? Mindlessly she had wandered into her old dormitory, now barren. She stood in the middle of the room until her anger began to dissipate.

Going back to her apartment was her next course of action, but getting there without being noticed might prove challenging. She spotted a cloth hanging over a chair and took it to wrap around her head.

Flaunting Emil as her husband was too dangerous, more so for him than for her. She didn't want to marry anyone else, but she also did not want to live in secrecy as he did.